• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L turbo vs 6.2L

Duster06

How can I visually see the difference between a 6.2L, 6.5L, and 6.5L turbo engine? My m998 was marketed as a 6.5L turbo but has a 3 speed transmission still. I'd just like to confirm that they sold me the right truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or a picture of the engine in the listing. If you have not taken possession of your truck yet then it could be just a typo on the transmission being a 3speed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

How can I visually see the difference between a 6.2L, 6.5L, and 6.5L turbo engine? My m998 was marketed as a 6.5L turbo but has a 3 speed transmission still. I'd just like to confirm that they sold me the right truck.
Ok, here's some solid data for you.

How to know the difference between a 6.2L engine and a 6.5L engine: https://halfmastpsmag.wordpress.com...ween-the-hmmwv-6-2l-and-6-5l-detuned-engines/

For Turbo vs Non, the best way to check is to look at the top and rear of the engine to notice the style of air intake it has. They're significantly different.

Turbo:
6.5TD.jpg
Two long, aluminum rails running the length of the block, joined by a crossover toward the rear of the block. Turbo is mounted underneath this.

Natural Aspiration:
6.5NA.jpg
Air intake feeds directly to top-center of the spider-like assembly. No turbo anywhere to be found on a NA system.

Fastest way to know the difference between a 3 speed and 4 speed transmission is to look at the shifter. Assuming there's been no extensive custom work to modify the shifter into a non-standard use, you should see the following:

3 Speed:
Shifter, 3SPD.jpg

4 Speed:
Shifter, 4SPD.jpg

EDIT:
As an extra note, there's no reason I know of why you couldn't have a HMMWV be fully functional with a 6.5 TD engine and a 3 Speed transmission. It would be within the power limits of the transmission and the engine itself will function just fine. You'll be able to enjoy a great deal more take-off power and have greater performance at higher altitudes. You'll just feel a bit weird on the highway, because your engine will be at very high RPM to maintain cruising speed, limited from cruising faster only by the lack of an overdrive gear that the engine has plenty of power to handle.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GP has not sold any turbocharged HMMWVs yet. The certain id for 6.2 vs 6.5 is the oil pump drive clamp in the rear engine valley, drivers side is 6.2, passenger side 6.5.

BLK HMMWV

Of the three only one will be a turbo.
That narrows it down allot.
If it doesn't have a turbo on it it's not a 6.5 turbo.
That leaves 2 choices. 6.2 or 6.5 N/A
Pictures of the shifter and the engine will help determine allot.
could have a 6.5 N/A and a 3 speed

jeffy777

I would be surprised a 6.5 Turbo with a 3 speed. Is this a rebuild by someone? Where are you getting this?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no 6.5 turbo with a 3 speed....unless someone did it after it left the base / auction.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Duster06

Thanks for the help guys! It's not a turbo. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell if it is a 6.5L or not. As a self taugh mechanic (aka, this is the first car I've ever worked on) im still trying to find the bolts described in the article, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Wire Fox

Thanks for the help guys! It's not a turbo. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell if it is a 6.5L or not. As a self taugh mechanic (aka, this is the first car I've ever worked on) im still trying to find the bolts described in the article, but I'll figure it out eventually.
Easiest way to check those bolts will be to sit in one of the front seats, remove the doghouse/"engine cover" from inside the cab, and look at the "valley" of the block. You'll see the oil pump/tach drive quite plainly from this perspective and it will be very easy to judge which way the bolt is facing and thus, what size engine you have. What's trickier is figuring out if you have a GM 6.5L or a GEP 6.5L. The difference doesn't really matter unless you're performance tuning the engine, in which case the GEP will have better alloys and construction than the GM to deal with the increased heat more effectively. For 99% of HMMWV owners, it's a moot point and you probably have the GEP, anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks