• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.8 V10 in a deuce?

Halo615

I've done my research on the 5.9 6BT 12Valve (would love to put one in my deuce but the price of a decent one is crazy!) I've found an affordable 2018 6.8 V10 Gas engine with 6 speed automatic transmission. I cant find anything on one being put in a deuce, has anyone done this swap before and is it worth the effort?

HDN

This is for your old gasser right? I'd say give it a shot. Up to you if you want to try and keep the transmission or try to mate it with the old 5-speed. I don't know anything about the 6-speed automatics that came with that motor or the load it can handle.

Budrow

I have a v10 in my old Dodge dually, it’s a nice running motor with good power, but it guzzles gas like no other. Still might be cheaper than diesel these days though.

V8srfun

Unless you want to loose your transfer case and all that it does I think you would be better off adapting to the deuce transmission. Things to consider how long is the engine, how wide is the engine, would the fuel economy become a problem, how much are you going to have invested in custom parts like mounts, cooling, fuel system, and so on. Another thing to consider is those engines are known to eat coils at $100 a pop things add up quick.

rustystud

Unless you want to loose your transfer case and all that it does I think you would be better off adapting to the deuce transmission. Things to consider how long is the engine, how wide is the engine, would the fuel economy become a problem, how much are you going to have invested in custom parts like mounts, cooling, fuel system, and so on. Another thing to consider is those engines are known to eat coils at $100 a pop things add up quick.
That V10 engine develops more power then the Spicer 3053 can handle. You will tear up your transmission and clutch every time you "get on it" . If your determined to use this engine, then use the whole package. Engine, transmission and transfer case. You can always beef-up the transmission and transfer case to handle the torque.

davidb56

That V10 engine develops more power then the Spicer 3053 can handle. You will tear up your transmission and clutch every time you "get on it" . If your determined to use this engine, then use the whole package. Engine, transmission and transfer case. You can always beef-up the transmission and transfer case to handle the torque.
It "may" also fit better with the transfer case attached to the transmission too. maybe a little firewall sheet metal work instead of the hood and nose panels too. Lots of tape measure work to do first.

fleetmech

That 6.8 can move an f550/ trailer combo that weighs more than a deuce faster than a deuce can go all with a 4:88 or maybe even 3:55 rear gear. It will have absolutely no problem hauling a loaded M35 around. Being a 2018 theres going to be a non trivial amount of wiring involved... make sure you get a complete donor truck with the necessary ECM, TCM, fuel pump driver ETC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks