• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 year old gasoline...

Heath_h49008

I had a conversation this afternoon with a man looking to get rid of old fuels... he's checking with his boss to give me the green light, but there is between 350-1000 gallons of gasoline, diesel, oil, and alcohol. All of it at least 6 years old.(separate tanks)

I have the M35a2... but what would you guys do for collection and treatment before running it? What would you use to transport it? (I was thinking IBC Totes)

This was all fresh 6 years ago, but has been sitting unused in the tanks. (One tank is waste oil/lube)

caliber1

Not sure about the alcohol, but I would sure get the rest. If the diesel is 6 yrs old, it might be pre ULSD. Filter the waste oil, cut it with the old gas and diesel. The gas might be pre ethanol too? Good score!!:beer: It would appear I am soon to be your neighbor Heath, across the lake.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you know if any fuel stabilizer has been added. Does the gasoline have ethanol in it? Was it stored outside where condensation would be worse or water could get into the containers? Since water is the enemy I'd make sure I had a good method for getting any out that was in there. Do not use the alcohol for fuel in the deuce....too dry and it attracts water. If you are going to use it for a deuce mix everything together except the alcohol and then filter the crap out of it.

o1951

Heath, depending on the tank vapor control/venting system, and how much moisture got in tanks, Gasoline and Diesel may be fine, especially if gasoline is pre ethanol. I would sample and see what looks & smells like. If the Diesel is clean, and smells normal - I would fill my tank, and bring everything I can find and fill. You did not say what kind of oil - used?
If the gasoline smells and looks good, fill up anything running gas you have. If it smells like varnish, filter it like you would waste oil and mix a little in tank to cut the oil, even the diesel at current temps in Mich.
All this stuff is well settled, so even if it is waste oil, will look good, as long as you don't pull off the bottom and get the sediment and sludge. :tank:

Heath_h49008

The gasoline smells like 5 year old gasoline.... varnish supreme. I was in the test cell and only was able to whiff what came out of the line, but it was borderline nasty. I'm thinking it's either pre-ethanol, or the ethanol has precipitated out of solution.

If I get the greenlight I'll give more details. I'm just thinking I'll use old IBC containers in the back of the deuce. (Unloading them might be a problem once I get home however... but a good one to have!)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gasoline in an IBC is not only dangerous, it's a huge DOT no-no.

Anything over 100 gals is probably restricted to DOT hazardous material regulations.

Old gas has volatile vapors, just like new has.

goldneagle

The gasoline smells like 5 year old gasoline.... varnish supreme. I was in the test cell and only was able to whiff what came out of the line, but it was borderline nasty. I'm thinking it's either pre-ethanol, or the ethanol has precipitated out of solution.

If I get the greenlight I'll give more details. I'm just thinking I'll use old IBC containers in the back of the deuce. (Unloading them might be a problem once I get home however... but a good one to have!)
Get more IBC containers and have some empty ones at home. Then just transfer the fuel from the IBC on the truck to the one at home. If you have time, filter it while transferring. This way one less step later.

goldneagle

Gasoline in an IBC is not only dangerous, it's a huge DOT no-no.

Anything over 100 gals is probably restricted to DOT hazardous material regulations.

Old gas has volatile vapors, just like new has.
He can always mix the gasoline with the waste motor oil in the IBC on the Deuce. That way it might be ok to transport in an IBC.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still dangerous as heck.

Scarecrow1

Ok I may be totally wrong but, gas that old is sure to be a major pile of gummy varnish with the diesel an organic nightmare, alcohol is for ever the same as long as it's sealed. I really wouldn't want that fuel in my truck at all. If it is still good why is it free? 6 years ago it was under 2 bucks a gallon they could make a killer profit if it was marketable. I fear it is a pile of problems and they are looking to unload it before D.H.E.C burns them.

Heath_h49008

This won't have to see a highway. I can make the whole trip on back roads as it's only about 20 miles from the homestead. Honestly, it's a one time run and the IBC container is as strong as any "legal" plastic gas can. While I would love to find a better way to be 100% safe from some ticket writer, the honest danger really isn't there.

I might see if I could borrow one of my cousin's trucks with the bed transfer tanks, but I'm pretty sure those are only about 99gal. IIRC the limit is >100gal requires a DOT tag.

Maybe I'll just make a few trips...

Heath_h49008

That's why I'm asking. I was wondering if it was worth saving for the Deuce, or too much trouble to mess with. I'm not excited about the ethanol, but I figured the old gasoline would cut waste oil nicely, and the old diesel could be treated and filtered (I think they call it polishing?) by running a little solar circulating pump and some filters. If I get the ratios right, maybe just throw it all together in a single large farm tank in a practical ratio. (500gal would last me YEARS of deuce driving they way I use it.)

Or is this not a viable option?

I'm green to all of this and you won't hurt my feelings to tell me I'm nuts.

6x6TRex

That's why I'm asking. I was wondering if it was worth saving for the Deuce, or too much trouble to mess with. I'm not excited about the ethanol, but I figured the old gasoline would cut waste oil nicely, and the old diesel could be treated and filtered (I think they call it polishing?) by running a little solar circulating pump and some filters. If I get the ratios right, maybe just throw it all together in a single large farm tank in a practical ratio. (500gal would last me YEARS of deuce driving they way I use it.)

Or is this not a viable option?

I'm green to all of this and you won't hurt my feelings to tell me I'm nuts.
Get a big tank and mix all of the gas, oil, and diesel together then burn it in the truck. The multi loves mixed fuels!

The ethanol on the other hand, dig a deep hole, pour all of it in it, then set it on fire! :burn:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've ran diesel as much as 10+ years old before without problems, your mileage may vary. Only noticeable difference was more smoke and the exhaust has a strong smell. I'd make sure it's clean and nothing growing in it though.

o1951

I would use containers approved for gasoline, if it smells like you say DON'T put it in any gasoline powered engine you like. Properly filtered, should be ok to mix as per my post 4.
What kind of oil? new or used?
How is the diesel?
If it was me, I just might fill my tanks with the diesel, take the oil - AFIK no restrictions on transporting that, and take a max of 90 gal of gasoline per trip, in approved containers, but I am very cautious with fuels in loose containers - always considering what could happen if someone runs into me.

I could borrow approved fuel containers from friends who have boats or generators. At my age, 10 gallons in a metal can is about all I can handle.

I belong to an old engine forum - guys have used Diesel that was stored in sealed drums as old as 50 years! They have used gasoline as old as 18 years. Depends on how much moisture got to the fuel, that is why I asked about tank venting.

I would take all the gasoline, diesel and oil - depends on the oil - gear oil or oils with lead or other anti wear I would not touch - fouls.
Leave the alcohol unless you want to make white lightning.

Filter it good, and you say you have farm tanks - blend and put it in them.

Enjoy the almost free fuel. Good going! Good going!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up on storing quantities of oil or fuel here in michigan It needs ti be stored in double-walled tanks or have a containment pit around it . With concrete containment pits the bottom and sidewall have to be poured in one pour. This includes fuel and oil storage on farms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks