• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

62 404.1 Swiss

Doug Snow

Howdy! New to this but read a lot of great info.
I’m having a little trouble with my mpg I’m trying to revive, sitting for a couple years.

I just rebuilt the master cylinder that I’ve been putting off. Works great! Carb, fuel pump, rebuilt, fuel tank cleaned but for now fuel line is in portable gas can “plastic”.

Anyway, idles good but at high rev it crackles out of carb. I think it’s the timing because as I turn the distributor it gets better. I haven’t put a timing light on it yet.
Questions are; am I going in the right direction?
How important is the fuel mixture settings? I noting one of the screws is bent “weird”.
Please help! I’m very thankful for this blog.

Pohl

You're on the right track, so to speak. First, get yourself a timing light and adapter (if you have the military shielded wires) and use it.
Two: adjust your valves. Three, INSPECT and clean, if required, the distributor counterweights under the point (Pertronix) plate. Next, register your timing marks (camshaft, distributor No. 1 cylinder, crankshaft TDC)

The bent idle adjustment screw should be carefully removed and replaced. Check your float level as well, could be too high

Pohl

You're on the right track, so to speak. First, get yourself a timing light and adapter (if you have the military shielded wires) and use it.
Two: adjust your valves. Three, INSPECT and clean, if required, the distributor counterweights under the point (Pertronix) plate. Next, register your timing marks (camshaft, distributor No. 1 cylinder, crankshaft TDC)

The bent idle adjustment screw should be carefully removed and replaced. Check your float level as well, could be too high

Doug Snow

That’s some great information, thank you.

Fla Mog

I was having the same carburetor issue problems. I adjusted and rebuilt, adjusted and rebuild. Finally broke down and bought a new zenith from Scott out in California and the truck has run perfect since. I kept the old cab to sit on my desk to remind me sometimes a few extra bucks goes a long ways

Ferretboy

I was having the same carburetor issue problems. I adjusted and rebuilt, adjusted and rebuild. Finally broke down and bought a new zenith from Scott out in California and the truck has run perfect since. I kept the old cab to sit on my desk to remind me sometimes a few extra bucks goes a long ways
I’m having a little trouble with my mpg I’m trying to revive, sitting for a couple years.

I just rebuilt the master cylinder that I’ve been putting off. Works great! Carb, fuel pump, rebuilt, fuel tank cleaned but for now fuel line is in portable gas can “plastic”.

Anyway, idles good but at high rev it crackles out of carb. I think it’s the timing because as I turn the distributor it gets better. I haven’t put a timing light on it yet.
How important is the fuel mixture settings? I noting one of the screws is bent “weird”.

Hello new members im new here also...glad to find some other unimog 404.114 people....

Pohl

Valve adjustment "kits" I have not heard of. You only need the appropriate 14mm purpose-designed MB or Hazet wrench. They are becoming hard to find, and yes, expensive when you do. You might try Unipaser or EI for a loaner

Ferretboy

Hello unimog owners...have had my 404.114 since 1992.....when i first got it. ...it ran ...well not so good...i will bet you i took the carb off lets say 100 times....thinking i missed something.....then found a guy with a yard of 1960s mb passenger cars...bought a complete distributor ....never ran so good...many years ago....never checked the old shielded military distributor out....but can find tune up parts much cheeper and easier now......great trucks...love them...have had mine apart to the ground...rebuilt the gear box....made a new floor for the bed...ect....you all take the best of care out there...later.

Ferretboy

Hello unimog owners...have had my 404.114 since 1992.....when i first got it. ...it ran ...well not so good...i will bet you i took the carb off lets say 100 times....thinking i missed something.....then found a guy with a yard of 1960s mb passenger cars...bought a complete distributor ....never ran so good...many years ago....never checked the old shielded military distributor out....but can find tune up parts much cheeper and easier now......great trucks...love them...have had mine apart to the ground...rebuilt the gear box....made a new floor for the bed...ect....you all take the best of care out there...later.
20200428_132452 (600x450).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks