• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x4 WW2 GMC?????

Oldfart

My son and I were searching a scrap yard yesterday and we ran across a WW2 closed cab GMC cab and chassis. The odd thing was that it is a 3 axle truck with only the rear two axles as drivers. (The same rear drive set up as on my M220, only a little lighter duty looking.) We crawled under and took a hard look at the transfer and it only has outputs to the rear for the tandum axles. I thought all the WW2 GMC three axle trucks were 6 wheel drive. Besides being confused, I wonder what application applied to this truck. The solid front axle looks original to the truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it is a CCW353, used extensively in long haul support like the Red Ball Express

Last edited:

Oldfart

What did the cab and front clip look like condition wise?
I would say the paint was poor, The head light cans were there as well as the guards. Can't remember the window glass condition, I think there was a hole in one windshield. The driver's door handle came off when we tried to open the door. Engine and drive line were complete. Yard owner will not part this vehicle as it is in a line of vehicles to sell and not in his parts yard. I did not ask the price as I was there on a different mission. I will say that the Yard owner is a savy guy when it comes to value and collectability and he expects top dollar.

waayfast

Yep, they were for "highway" use--- not conditions that needed all corners pulling. Does it have a bed?? I think some at least may have been a fifth wheel tractor also.

Just spoke to a local WWII vet about my "new" composite bed. He went on to talk about driving a CCW (6x4) after the war.

Hauling shingles from Boise to Pendleton on the old highway --(WAY before the freeway:wink:) over "Cabbage" summit was really hot, really slow,and really rough as he put it:)

#1 Please get pics
#2 SOMEBODY SAVE IT!

Jim

Oldfart

I am interested in the vehicle. If my interest fades due to cost (which very well may be the case) I will PM you with the location info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks