• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 won’t idle when put in gear

Kuhlbreeze

I have a 1991 BMY with 8.3 it seems to run ok ( a little hard to start cold) but it starts and idles fine, until you put it in drive or reverse then it seems to steadily drop rpm then die and it takes some cranking to restart it. If you keep it around 1000 then dump it in gear it seems to be enough to keep it going once it’s on the boost all good. It was sitting for a few years and I drained the tanks out some cleaner in it changed the filter now I seem to be having a problem. Wonder if I broke loose some of the gummy fuel and it’s causing a pump problem thank you guys in advance

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is your transfer case interlock button all the way out? This sticking in can cause an issue. This is on the transfer case shifter handle.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
well the trans appears to be keeping the TC locked. is that button normally closed or normally open? Can it be driven with the TC lock up solenoid just disconnected
Yes. Normal allisons do not have it. It is simply used to ease shifting the transfer case while moving for less resistance in the gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks