• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800 series steering gear options

162tcat

The steering box in my M817 dump has seen better days and has about a half turn of play in it. Has anyone found a suitable replacement that bolts in? I haven't found much in the surplus market for a NOS unit and I have a feeling if I do find something it will be substantially overpriced from one of the dealers.

If anyone else has ran into this, let me know what you did to resolve your issue.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

162tcat

It has that much play while running. I point it in the right direction and it somewhat goes that way. We have an understanding but I'd love more control.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked for loose bolts on the box?

They are know to move around on the frame when loose.

74M35A2

Most steering gears have an adjustment to tighten up the play. It is typically a headless stud on top of the gear with a flat head screwdriver slot, locked down with a nut.

162tcat

Most steering gears have an adjustment to tighten up the play. It is typically a headless stud on top of the gear with a flat head screwdriver slot, locked down with a nut.
I'll give it a shot. I adjusted it once, a while back without any noticeable improvement but maybe just not enough.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the older M39 5-ton, I adjusted also without much effect. Than I noticed that the pittman shaft can move laterally quite a lot. When you try to adjust that play, you have to make sure that the pittman arm is pulled away from the box. Otherwise you are adjusting very high in the groove, without much result. Then again, my gear now is shot and the m809 is different, so don't know if this is usefull.

162tcat

With the older M39 5-ton, I adjusted also without much effect. Than I noticed that the pittman shaft can move laterally quite a lot. When you try to adjust that play, you have to make sure that the pittman arm is pulled away from the box. Otherwise you are adjusting very high in the groove, without much result. Then again, my gear now is shot and the m809 is different, so don't know if this is usefull.
Good info, thanks!

162tcat

I wanted to post an update on this. I adjusted the box for a second time and it's much much better now. For anyone else dealing with this I would recommend doing the sector shaft adjustment, test drive and if not acceptable, adjust one more time after driving it. I think mine was so far out of adjustment that it needed it twice, or I didn't back the lock nut off far enough the first time....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks