• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802 Fuel Tank Repair

Dock Rocker

Gentlemen,

I have an 802 that the fuel level float that has gotten corroded and is inop. I had to unplug it at the tank to get through some bad weather so that it would not throw a fault light. I tried manually manipulating it in the tank and it will hardly move with as much force as I am comfortable putting on it. I think its time for a some fuel tank love.

I am going to pull the tank and do the well nut repair while I am at it. I am looking for thoughts on anything else I need to do while I have it broken down. Are there any other common malfunctions I can prevent while I have it apart?

Lastly does anyone have any sources for parts they want to share?

Thanks!

Zed254

Some threads to review:

Guyfang

Staff member
Dock Rocker,

RTFB. Get the -24 TM out and make yourself smart. Read all the maintenance procedures for the switches and fuel pick up. Read about removal, inspection, testing and replacement. Most of it is simple, no PITA. But getting the depth wrong on the FL1 and FL2 switch, can lead to problems. And getting the tank out, requires lots of additional work. It will not come out simply by grabbing hold of it and tugging. Whenever I did a tank, I just went ahead and did a lot of other things while I was in there. Cleaning and that sort of thing.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah you are going to have to pull the whole rear support (including radiator), to get the tank out. Its got a drop which it sets in... not coming out easy. If you do this, my suggestion is to take the radiator and all 'rear' sheet metal off in one piece! Do not individually take these apart, or you will be chasing body lines for days.

Ray70

So, which float assembly went bad, the sender for the gage or the zig zag 2 float sender for the fault lights and aux. pump?
Sounds like the one for the gage, but unplugging that one has nothing to do with fault lights.
As a replacement, refer to the posts that Zed254 lists and get yourself an 8 1/2" marine sender, drop in replacement and will be trouble free from now on.
I get them from FisheriesSupply on-line, but there are other links in those posts listed.
Just pay close attention to the note about the sender possibly hitting the side of the tank drop-off and adding a spacer to prevent possible contact.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks