• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 VS 819

Monty

Can someone please help me.

I'm looking at a wrecker I was told that it was a M819/ M63. Can someone please explain to me the difference between a M819/ M63 and a M816. I see that the M819 was an older wrecker (looking at the data plate) but I'm confused I thought the M816 would be older than the M819.
Also can some explain what the difference's would be between the two.

Can someone please help.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
RE: Can someone please help me.

the m62 and m816 are both wreckers.
the m819 is a wrecker/tractor (setup w/ a 5th wheel) it is longer & heavier

M1075

You might find some answers in an old thread I started. Search for M816 vs M819 wrecker. That should answer your questions.

acetomatoco

All 800 series have the Cummins NHC 250. A M62 will have a 6602 Continental Gas Engine and a Austin Western Crane.. The M819 is a Truck Tractor Wrecker... longer boom and a fifth wheel to haul a recovery trailer, using 5th wheel, for downed aircraft, etc... The M 815 is a Wrecker,, with the same crane as a M543A2. A M63 is a truck chassis upon which specialized equipment was added... You need to get the manuals and study them in bed for a while.. I imagine you have seen the truck on Ebay in NJ....

jwaller

after looking over ron's 819 this weekend it got me to thinking. what are the differences in the crane/boom on the two trucks? or is their any differance?

I know they have different tires, length, weight, and all the simple stuff but I'm interested in the lifting capacity's of the crane.

Monty

Re: RE: Can someone please help me.

acetomatoco said:
All 800 series have the Cummins NHC 250. A M62 will have a 6602 Continental Gas Engine and a Austin Western Crane.. The M819 is a Truck Tractor Wrecker... longer boom and a fifth wheel to haul a recovery trailer, using 5th wheel, for downed aircraft, etc... The M 815 is a Wrecker,, with the same crane as a M543A2. A M63 is a truck chassis upon which specialized equipment was added... You need to get the manuals and study them in bed for a while.. I imagine you have seen the truck on Ebay in NJ....
The wrecker was on ebay but not in NJ, It can't be a M819 as it was advertised, there's no 5th wheel plate on the back, the winch was mounted there. Also it was advertised as a M63 M819 and it has a Continental 6602 engine. Hmmmm.
I'll be looking through the manuals tonight.

Cdub

Re: RE: Can someone please help me.

Monty said:
acetomatoco said:
The wrecker was on ebay but not in NJ, It can't be a M819 as it was advertised, there's no 5th wheel plate on the back, the winch was mounted there. Also it was advertised as a M63 M819 and it has a Continental 6602 engine. Hmmmm.
I'll be looking through the manuals tonight.
check out this thread........

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13550&highlight=roadmasters

C'dub

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Can someone please help me.

there isnt a m63 wrecker, in the 5ts you have m62, m543, m816 wreckers, you have m246 and m819 treactor-wreckers

redass73

c'dub that same truck is ebay right now.. got a paint job ad some new goodies all over it.
i seen it on tow411 they just bought it this summer. very cool. but a shame to cut up those trucks to make one.
rick

Attachments

Cdub

Yep it sure is a shame to mod a truck such as that one was for the sake of towing. The are a local tow company in my area and have many other heavy hydraulic tow trucks in their fleet. They are one of the larger companies in my area. Always with some of the sweetest look rigs........but they didn't want to go to Maine to pick up Sharleen with me...??

seya,

C'dub

acetomatoco

That pic above looks suspiciously like a M125. Note the 45000 front winch and the ventilated side panels and the big rubber etc etc or maybe on the M139 Bridge truck axles...as I see spacers in the front end. However this is not the truck I had indicated in my first post in this string.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 10 ton. I can see the drop on the reduction units at the end of the axle in the front. 10 tons have a triple reduction front axle. I can also tell a 24" rim from a 20 and those are 24s.

Monty

I looked over the pictures of it again, there is no 5th wheel plate. It has a 45k winch in the back. Also the data plate looks to say it was built in 56 or 58.

Monty

Re: RE: Re: RE: Can someone please help me.

73m819 said:
there isnt a m63 wrecker, in the 5ts you have m62, m543, m816 wreckers, you have m246 and m819 treactor-wreckers
I was looking over the manuals last night and came to the same conclusion, I'lll have to keep investgating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks