• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 now with turbo and pics.

jwaller

I am in the process of adding a NTC 450 turbo to my 818.

it just doesn't have the power to move the beast with a loaded trailer. so pics are to follow.

Attachments

Last edited:

area52

any clearance issues? How did you do the oil line/return? Are you gonna do an intercooler in front of the radiator?

looking good so far

jwaller

any clearance issues? How did you do the oil line/return? Are you gonna do an intercooler in front of the radiator?

looking good so far

I am planning on running the Big cam IV unitized aftercooler that mounts to the other side of the head and uses engine coolant. I have so far had no clearance issues. I will run into an issue with the stock NTC charge air pipe so I'm going to run it behind the fan instead of over the motor like it was in the NTC setup.

the NHC 250 has the provision in the block for the oil return line and it has some ports on the oil cooler to grab oil to supply the turbo.

Last edited:

madsam

I was planning on doing this to my 816 this summer, but got to busy. I love all the pics.

The main question I have not gotten a definitive answer on is where the oil lines go to the engine. (Got any pics?)

What are you going to do with the intake cross over? Cut the hood? ( JUST read that you think you will run it in front of the engine behind the fan. )

Good job. :-D

Last edited:

Armada

Very interested in the difference the turbo makes. I'm guessing to optimize performance and to prevent damage, the injection pump and or timing will need to be adjusted with the turbo added? Are you putting in a probe for egt's?

jwaller

I was planning on doing this to my 816 this summer, but got to busy. I love all the pics.

The main question I have not gotten a definitive answer on is where the oil lines go to the engine. (Got any pics?)

What are you going to do with the intake cross over? Cut the hood? ( JUST read that you think you will run it in front of the engine behind the fan. )

Good job. :-D
I am getting oil for the turbo from the eng oil cooler. there are 2 ports that you can use. the block has the provision for the oil return.

I am probably going to run the crossover behind the fan and in front of the block. the stock system will not clear.

jwaller

Very interested in the difference the turbo makes. I'm guessing to optimize performance and to prevent damage, the injection pump and or timing will need to be adjusted with the turbo added? Are you putting in a probe for egt's?
I had my fuel turned up as high as it would go(egt wise) so I'm hoping that bu adding more air via the turbo I wont need to add much if any more fuel. remember that diesels act count intuitively than do gas motors.

I do plan on reinstalling my egt preturbo right by the exhaust turbine inlet. If I get any detonation I'll just add a water injection system like my deuce has.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very good. Impressive as always. Your mods always look well thought out.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you going to take it off an polish it up a bit before firing it up? It looks like the corrosion on the intake turbo may cause some loss of flow. This is a great idea and since my exhaust needs work I may be looking into doing this on my tractor too.

madsam

Have you thought about making a new cross over that is more of an oval that is short enough to fit under th hood?

jwaller

Are you going to take it off an polish it up a bit before firing it up? It looks like the corrosion on the intake turbo may cause some loss of flow. This is a great idea and since my exhaust needs work I may be looking into doing this on my tractor too.
yes. I am more or less putting it all together right now. when it's all done I'll tear it down and clean it up and reinstall everything. the turbo was sitting around for a while before I got to it so it needs some cleaning. there is almost zero thrust and side play so it's still a good unit just dirty. I'm going to eventually tie it into the stock exhaust pipe that runs up and out. it may be that it's too small an I'll have to replace it with a larger one but for now thats the plan.

jwaller

Have you thought about making a new cross over that is more of an oval that is short enough to fit under th hood?
yes I tried that. there is only about 2 inches between the hood and turbo discharge. I hammered the pipe nearly flat and bent the hood support out of the way and it still didn't look right and wasn't going to function very well. hence the idea of running it next to the block behind the fan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks