• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

Purchased stock m1009 chevy blazer 1984 6.2L diesel v8 3.08 axle ratios 1/2 tons
e45b0fb5.jpg
New Boyce Equipment Dana 60 front with 4.56 gears ARB air locker installed.
6db2d385.jpg
Rebuilt Boyce Equipment Custom Corp 14 bolt full floater rear with 4.56 gears ARB air locker installed
850ff88b.jpg

Last edited:

2INSANE

For the front springs of my m1009 I choose to run with a set of stock m1008 56" 1 ton rear springs.
3edefc94.jpg
I modified them by taking out the overloads and 2 leafs. Went to the carwash and cleaned them up. Then primed and painted.
36f188b5.jpg
b339b057.jpg

2INSANE

Next I took off the heavy stock blazer tailgate and swapped it with a 1978 truck tailgate I found at the junkyard already primed! This swap is a good weight reduction and will work well with the softtop. It was a direct bolt on 30 minute job:)
8b3d40be.jpg
1dbbf4ed.jpg
adfd6903.jpg

2INSANE

most people run lift kits or 52's up front. cool build so far.
Front suspention parts include: Diy4x.com b52 and beyond front hanger kit, HD front rear eye hanger, 7.25 shackle, greaseable bolts and bushings, adjustable spring plate.
Offroaddesign.com crossover steer kit.

Rear suspension parts include: Diy4x.com 6" shackle flip kit, 6" shackle, weld on rear front spring hanger, adjustable spring plate, 63" stock rear springs from a 2wd 90's chevy truck and greaseable bolts/bushings.

I cleaned the parts up with breakleen and a rag. Then primed and painted.

8c462211.jpg
1ba12459.jpg
9ec67215.jpg

Last edited:

2INSANE

Subscribed!!!!

what size tires are you going to run?

Vinny
For tires I'm going to have 2 sets. First set will be the hard rubber 60k-80k mile rated Goodyear 37" Military M/T's for the daily driving/light off-road.
This set will get some normal Aluminum non-bead locked 16.5 rims
1ea5cfac.jpg

Second set will be for strict off-road. I'm still trying to decide what set to roll with. I was thinking maybe 40" irok's and trailworthyfab.com's pressed bead locked 12 bolt rims.

Did you build those axles or buy them complete. They look great! Nicely done. Also, why take out two of the leafs from the springs?
Boyce Equipment built the 14 bolt up from scratch and the Dana 60 was a new, never used one that only needed the locker installed.

I did not want a stiff front 56" spring. I'll get better flex and articulation with less leafs. There is now a total of 6 leafs left and that is more then enough:) I might end up taking more leafs out after I see how she sits on the ground.

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

I snagged a blazingoffroad.com rear bumper from a local sale and a 60 gallon fuel cell/toolbox combo. Currently waiting to be installed. The goal is to remove the stock fuel tank and replace it with this fuel cell/tool box and install it behind the driver/passenger seat after I remove the rear seats. For safty, it will be vented and the filler will be relocated on the outside.
29d9b649.jpg
faca7fa4.jpg

SPCWarning

Nice !

Looks like your 1009 is going to be the way they should have been from the factory! Also can't wait to see the finished product. Great work!

2INSANE

:drool: Wow! Im watching this one cant wait to see the finished product. Thats gunna be one Tough truck.
Yep! I can't wait to finish her! The goal is to get her 80% finished by Easter 2012 so I can piss some Heeps off at Moab[thumbzup]

I want to keep it street legal yet still be able to do 4-5 rated trails

What kind and where did you get those seats.
I also would like to know about the seats?
The new seats came with the m1009 as part of the purchase already installed. It was a score! Im not sure what brand they are but I've seen them before at pep boys. I think they run under $200 each. I'll get more pics of the mounts and seats when I'm back in town and she is off the rack.:grd:

Looks like your 1009 is going to be the way they should have been from the factory! Also can't wait to see the finished product. Great work!
Thank you! I spent a lot of time doing research and viewing others builds to help me decide what to do before the surgery. I'll keep posting progress pictures as time goes by.

Last edited:

2INSANE

I am lookin for a m1009 and m101 thats my next purchase. it will be all stock though. nice build
Thanks! I got an m101a2 few days ago. I'm gonna put my Alaskan popup camper on it and tow it behind the blazer when it's finished. I figure that part of the build will be the icing on the cake that I'll post later:)

I like the tailgate of a truck. never seen/ heard of that one before.
I got the truck tailgate idea from ck5.com. Most the members that have upgraded to the soft top do that. It reduces at least 50+pounds of weight by swapping tailgates. Weight is a huge critical issue for off-road machines.

cool build man.
Thank you sir!

OK subscribing, cant wait to see it finished.
Me too! The shop is fabing up a rear front adjustable spring hanger. Afterward we will be able to finish the rear suspension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks