• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9:00 tires on a M1008.

Westech

CPL
Hey fellow members.
I installed 265.75.16 tires on my M101 trailer with the stock split ring rims with no issue.
I would like to mount 900x16 tires on my M1008 rims.... is this possible?
I know I would have to use tubes and flaps and I have seen many pictures with this done...
but the question is will the NDT bead work on a Civy rim?

zone zero

So you planing on running 900/16 correct so basically a 36x10r16?
i just found a brand after a long search there called super lugs. Should work on a rim up to 7 inches wide and should tuck into the wheel well pretty good.

Kaiser67M715

If you get the tubeless 9.00x16 no need for tubes. Pretty sure super lugs can come as a tube or tubeless design

dilligaf13

I don't doubt that they'd last forever, on an M1008, my issue is their on and off road performance is atrocious. I'd look at the Michelin XML 325/85/R16 military takeoffs. They do much better on/off road and will also last forever. The less expensive 37" Goodyear MT (HMMWV TAKEOFFS) is also an option. 2cents

pitpawten

I don't doubt that they'd last forever, on an M1008, my issue is their on and off road performance is atrocious. I'd look at the Michelin XML 325/85/R16 military takeoffs. They do much better on/off road and will also last forever. The less expensive 37" Goodyear MT (HMMWV TAKEOFFS) is also an option. 2cents
I won't argue that they aren't an outdated design.

That being said the tall slim profile does provide advantage in some offroad situations over the typical "radial profile".

Also for onroad performance the small contact patch (at full inflation) reduces rolling resistance and can give better mileage.

Both of these "features" (tall/slim profile and small onroad contact patch) have their well documented downsides (no flotation and lack of stopping power respectively) but not enough to instantly rule them out in all situations IMO.

dilligaf13

The tall/slim profile does have it's advantages off road but the NDT tread design negates that advantage. The handling and seriously reduced stopping power, of the NDT tread design, negates any minor increase in fuel mileage (the M1008 has the aerodynamics of a cinder block so I'm not sure of the fuel economy argument :-D). If it's just for the look or because you've got a bunch laying around and it's inexpensive, I say go for it. I know a bunch of guys that run them on their hunting buggies because their broke but there's waaaay better tires out there, versus the NDT. Keep in mind they're based on 1950's tire technology that's almost 70 years old.

Westech

CPL
The reason to run the ND 900 tire on my M1008 is that I have two brand new ones and a set of rims.
The truck is NOT used on the road at all. Only at Haspin and will be becoming my new snow plow.
The truck does have a brand new set of BFG 33" for road use if the day comes.
I just wanted to try something that I have not seen before (in person)

dilligaf13

There ya go, that's a good enough reason. I've seen them on some 80's civilian chevy's around here, on a couple redneck rigs, I'll try to grab pics....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks