• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 Air Compressor Governor Advice

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And before it comes in: yes I did a search (939-air-compressor-governor-adjustment) and yes I read the TM -24 (1st section) PG 3-576 I believe. I found threads discussing turning up the pressure but no instructions on how they did it.

The governor in the TM does not look like the governor on my truck so thinking it's possibly for an A-nothing not an A2. The TM says to loosen the 1st nut then turn the second nut clockwise to increase pressure. I'm having issues with my home computer PDF reader so I can't copy the drawing of the governor but I've attached a pic of one that is like the one on my truck. Is the plastic knob on the one in the picture a dust cap of some sort or is it the actual means to adjust the governor? The only direction it would move was counter clockwise (like it was being screwed on) so no way to turn it clockwise. My air currently builds to 120psi so it's fine as it is but have read some comments about turning up the compressor to get the CTIS working and wanted to give that a shot.

Air Governor.jpg

Last edited:

MtnSnow

That Is the newer style. I have the Same one on my truck. Unscrew the black plastic cover then use a 7/16th wrench to loosen the jam nut and turn the center stud with a flathead standard screwdriver counter clockwise to bring your cutout pressure up closer to 130psi. Then thing hen the jam nut and then screw the black plastic cap back on and enjoy

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gimp! That was exactly what I was looking for/needed.

Doghead, looks like the same item only directly from Bendix. And while typing that into Google found it, typing it into the Search function on SS did not. Since it's a military vehicle I zone in on searching here first and apparently forgot there are other places to look.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either my governor is screwed up or the instructions are. Turning it clockwise (per the instructions) lowered the cut-off. I adjusted it twice that way and dropped from 120psi down to 115psi and then 110psi. Going back and doing the reverse had the reverse effects increasing approx. 5psi every 1/4 turn. After I got it back to the original 120psi I adjusted it (clockwise) and bumped it up to 125 then 130psi. It's holding that now but had zero effects on the CTIS so it's back to running through the Trouble Shooting manual again.

Last edited:

hklvette

CCW tightens the spring inside the governor, increasing the cut-out/ cut-in pressure. You have that right. You may want to search through some of the recent threads on the M939's CTIS system. Lots of good information to be found.

MtnSnow

Mkcoen,

Double check the CTIS pressure sensor which is mounted down by the PPV on the wet tank. If your sensor does not work the system thinks you are below 120 psi and will not turn on. You can unplug the wires going to the sensor and jump the wires which will make the system "see" that your above 120 psi no matter what the actual pressure is. If the CTIS then wants to work you know the sending unit is bad.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mkcoen,

Double check the CTIS pressure sensor which is mounted down by the PPV on the wet tank. If your sensor does not work the system thinks you are below 120 psi and will not turn on. You can unplug the wires going to the sensor and jump the wires which will make the system "see" that your above 120 psi no matter what the actual pressure is. If the CTIS then wants to work you know the sending unit is bad.
Thanks but the truck has been gone since last year but hopefully this'll help someone else. Concentrating on the M561 now.

MtnSnow

Your welcome and sorry I missed that it was year ago...oh well maybe my suggestion will help someone else in the future ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks