• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 fuel tank capacity

mikey

Any chance the M931A2 has two 50g tanks and not 65g like the TM says?

I just filled an empty tank and it took 45 gallons. I know the fuel gauges aren't reliable, but that's off by a lot. Also I average 6.5mpg when I've been told I should get close to 10. If the tanks were 50g, it would be closer to 10mpg.

Thanks

Mikey

mikey

I was just trusting the gauge. This is the first time I've filled up an "empty" tank since I got the truck. I usually just throw $50 in when it hits 1/4. Perhaps when it hit's empty next time, I'll drain what's left and then fill it to see how much it takes.

mikey

You can't fit anything but a straw in a 939 tank. The fuel sieve is not removable and has holes about 1/8th of an inch.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? Never tried to yank it out, but it seems to be on there pretty good. Thanks for the info.
I have had several strainer assemblies that were installed with joint/pipe compound to ensure an air tight seal, a little heat from a propane torch will soften it up. I said a little heat.. keep the filler cap installed and get it real warm, not cherry red. If the paint is bubbling off and smoking, its to hot. A good strap wrench will work also.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military fuel gauges are virtually useless.

The way I check my mileage is to fill a tank to a certain mark (in the case of my 931's, its marked on the fuel strainer itself). Drive wherever it is you are driving to/from, then refill to exactly that mark again and calculate against the miles driven (determined by your GPS, or odometer you have checked for accuracy).

Also, when calculating range, remember that not all the fuel in the tank is usable. Some bigger truck tanks can have several gallons left when the pickup stops sending fuel down the line.

Cheers

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you leaving room for fuel expansion?

Your fuel tank should have a tag welded on it that says it's capacity.

jw4x4

I removed both of my strainers with a vise-grip chain wrench. Far better option than the pipe wrench. The strainers are a PITA when fueling. They make fuel splash all over the place. I purchased locking fuel caps from an SS vendor and I love them.

rory1919

I was searching all over for a second tank when I picked up my truck last week. Fuel was all the way up the the strainer and the gauge said I had a half tank. I'm new to this too so I had no idea all the fuel gauges were so unreliable. Looks like there is no reason for me to change it out now.

Ill just oust keep it full all of the time.

ke5eua

I was searching all over for a second tank when I picked up my truck last week. Fuel was all the way up the the strainer and the gauge said I had a half tank. I'm new to this too so I had no idea all the fuel gauges were so unreliable. Looks like there is no reason for me to change it out now.

Ill just oust keep it full all of the time.
Most of the time it's a grounding issue or as in my case it was grounding and the sending units were rusty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks