• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C compressor driven by electric motor?

TexAndy

Why not?

One of the big problems with installing air conditioning in a deuce (and CUCVs) seems to be figuring out a way to mount the compressor to run it off the engine.

So why not just mount the compressor pretty much anywhere you want and couple it to a continuous duty electric motor? You can get 3, 4, or even 5 HP cont. duty motors out of trashed treadmills for practically nothing, these days.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even use a motor that's PWM controllable so you can adjust compressor speed. Uh... probably pointless if you're trying to cool off a deuce cab.

One question... how much power does it take to run a typical A/C compressor? I guess that will determine how cost effective or practical this idea is.

unclemikey

I don't see why it would not work if done right. Electric motors turn most ever kind of compressor, why not A/C ? This could turn into an interresting thread. Good :idea:

bgekky3

How are you going to power the electric motor? The stock alt won't cut it. You would have to put a big alt on the engine to keep the batteries charged to feed the compressor motor.

jesusgatos

Reddot makes a hydraulic AC compressor, but why not go engine-driven? An electric compressor would draw a LOT of power, so the engine would need to be running anyway, and if the engine has to generate the electrical power to run the electric compressor, that doesn't sound like a very efficient system.

EXITNOONE

300 amp alternator with regulator direct to electric motor turning the compressor would solve the electrical draw problem and leave plenty of power for the rest of the deuce systems...

there are even higher powered alternator/generator combos that you can weld with by attaching the ground and stick directly to the unit.
there is plenty of power available with the right alternator.

Josh

If your going to go that route. Why not just get yank the compressor out of a window shaker. Just need to get power inverter. Small foot print and could mount many places.

jwaller

thats how the AC in my lear jet works. it has an old ford truck compressor driven by a belted electric motor. be aware though it pulls a lot of amps. when I switch the ac on the startup amps spike to about 500a and come down to about 200 continuous.

zout

may not be up the same issue - but check out the thread I have running with the ac retrofit kit I am installing in Dinger65's M109A3 Shop Van - I have the ac compressor mounted with a litle bit of fabrication work - just waiting on the replacement ac condensor and lines at this time.

Only reason was he mentioned Deuce - and these are Deuce and 1/2's.

EXITNOONE

ZOUT- post link please

TEXANDY- if you can fabricate the system, it sounds feasible.

300 amp alternator to inverter to window ac in back of cab is my preference at the moment.
the ac system is self contained and the only draw off the engine system is through the alternator.
no extra belts or mounts for compressor in the engine compartment to worry about, or hose routings, vents, etc...
possible negatives- ac sticking out the back of your cab about 15", loss of some bench space in cab.
painted to match the truck though, it doesn't seem so bad on the exterior as the scale of an A2 or A3 is large enough to proportion the rear cab ac bulk

Last edited:

zout

Exit - - My new ride M109A3 under members rides in the forum.

There are nearly 811 other photo's for your viewing nightmare in there as well that are not ac related - just check out the last several pages of the thread and if you are a glutton for punishment - check out the entire thing - will take you a couple hours.

zout

post some pics of your rig on that side - would like to see them and ponder over them - it has not been an easy task figuring this ac retrofit kit out - but eventually I will get there and Dinger65 will have to wear a wool jacket in the Ga summer here to keet warm - I asked how big he liked his snowflakes in the cab

phil2968

phil2968

I was goining to use their condenser with fan a shroud and their 7 piston compressor. A call to them would answer a lot of tech questions. They build all of the evaporators in Tampa and match them to the proper condeser and compressor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks