• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few pics - Jagdtiger in process

Adamlee

Funny how you stop in the middle of a project, and suddenly you start back up again - 18 years later!

Just a few "in progress" shots of the Tamiya 1:35 Jagdtiger I have resurrected from the dead. Back when I last was working on it, I had about completed the basic hull etc....and had started to add on various bits and pieces from a few older kits and such.

For grins, you get to see the spartan working conditions. My hobby work space is also the dining room table. Guess I gotta wait till we move into a new house and I get my own "guy's den" where I can leave this junk out all the time....

adam

Attachments

Adamlee

Jagdtiger, Tiger I, Tiger II, soldiers

ALCON -

Lots of activity besides model hobby stuff these days. Well, I did get a chance to take a few snaps of my projects today - just showing where they are "in process".

The tanks and the figures are in primered form, waiting for more detail work such as flash removal/sanding/adjustments/casting marks and joints puttying/etc.

The Tiger I has an amateurish application of zimmerit sheet, left over from a stash of faux zimmerit from who knows when. Yes, it is an incomplete "coat" of zimmerit; but I only had a small bit of sheet left. I will still need to get the turret sides and the rear armor done; might not even do it just get the thing done without - who knows. This one is a Tamiya.

The Tiger II is sans zimmerit; I'm calling it a late-war example anyway so they didn't have a universal application anyway. This one is a Dragon. The figures in both of these are older Tamiya that I dug out of the spares box....although I think the guy in the Tiger II was really from the Tiger I Tamiya kit.

The Jagdtiger is about done, it's just got some fender work I want to add. I took all the fenders and cut them out individually, and I will see how many of them I will reinstall. Maybe none, I don't know.

None of these tanks have been significantly "worn down", I'm going to go over them further and do some more detail work on the exhaust guards, the pipes, the fenders, maybe more zimmerit, etc.

The troops are meant to be part of the mini-dioramas that these tanks are going to "participate" in. One group of soldiers are set for a late-war, east Prussia or such scene with the Tiger II and the Tiger I. That's why the 2 guys I made so far for that one have PPSh-41 tommy guns instead of MP-40's.

The other guys are going to be part of a scene set in the Ruhr pocket in April, '45. One of the guys (these are meant to be a mix of paras and panzergrenadiers) has a Kar43 in homage to the Kar43 I used to own - built in the Ruhrgebiet, I believe. For that scene, I am in the process of building a nicely detailed CCKW from either Italieri or Humbrol, which I bought many years ago in the late 80's or early 90's. The scene is going to basically have the CCKW as a "captured" supply truck offloading gear at the locale where the Jagdtiger is set up as a crossroads roadblock - those tanks hardly ever did any mobile campaigning anyway. I wanted to include POW American troops "helping" offload supplies from the CCKW. Not sure if I will ever get this far, but you gotta have some sort of goal in mind.

Primer makes everything kind of stand out....which is why it's a helpful process. The other thing I've learned about myself in this "getting back to my old hobby" thing is the need for reading glasses. Guess I need some bifocals! I am really falling apart.

Attachments

Adamlee

Troops shots - part 2 of Jagdtiger thread

Here's the pics I meant to add of the soldiers I assembled for the two dioramas. The guys I put together for the Ruhr pocket scene are mostly made up of random old spare parts. I am not proud; these are full of plenty of amateur mistakes and errors/glue blobs/flashing/gaps/etc, but I do plan on taking care of those details with modeler's putty and my x-acto knife/etc.

The 2 fellas with PPSh-41's are meant for the east Prussia scene with the Tiger I and Tiger II. I would like to build a shot-up or otherwise battle-damaged Stalin II tank for this as well. I can dream, can't I?

Attachments

ygmir

RE: Troops shots - part 2 of Jagdtiger thread

that is some cool, detailed work.......thanks for sharing it with us............

Two years ago I visited the tank museum of Saumur in France (-> http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/ ) , which has one of the largest collections of german tanks from the ww2 era in the world. I took a lot of pictures which might be of interest to modelers (and in general).
I would post them here, but since there are around 20 pictures I'd like to ask first before placing such a bomb.
´

Attachments

Ruppster, thanks! Yes this is my / our website. Momentarily it is only used for "parking galleries" and is a totally disorganised mess. I don't even know what I've got there altogether.
I have to get it done one of these days.

If you need some of the pictures in a higher resolution, no problem. Just drop me a pm!

Wolf.Dose

Ey, Schmitchens Spielwiese ist vorbei für dieses Jahr. Ich war da!Vielleicht naechstes Jahr wieder.
Anyway, also for the rest of the world: Saumur did change a lot since 1980, when I was the first time there. Luckily by that time I had the change to drive this or that vehicle by myself. And assisted to get some of them running for the Carussel. I have been there several times since then, however only in the former horse riding arena downtown (lac of time).
Some of the exposes of nowadays I remember as scrap in the backyard of the museum. In 1980 we had access to the backyard. The shown Kettenkrad by that time had steel cussions in stead of rubber cussions on the tracks. Friends of mine managed to get the rubber cussions for the tracks to Saumur....
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks