• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A gift of a life time.

Matt1970M35A

It started out the first day of the 39th annual MVPA convention. I am a member of the hosting club Kilroy chapter so on move in day I drove a lot of different trucks and little jeep things. It was a lot of fun to get to drive a lot of MV's in a single day but nothing else compared to the XM221. It brought back so many memories of driving a M211 out fitted as a snow plow when I was very young.
So all my dad heard the rest of the day was how much I enjoyed getting to drive a restored XM221. While moving it the owner at the time was trying to get me to drive faster but I had forgot how to shift it to high range but I was content with going slow just to saver the pleaser of driving such a truck.
I stayed by the truck for the first few days looking it over. So at the end of the week I got to drive it one more time and was sad to see it had sold. I was hoping the new owner would care for it and give it a good home.
Thats when the past owner said we would have it for a few more weeks and asked if I would drive it in a parade. You can guess my answer.
So at the parade the past owner asked if I would move my truck up in the line up. I missed it when he said my truck. My father came up and asked if I was going to drive my truck. I said no Im going to drive some ones truck. My father then told me it was my new truck and to have fun with it. So now Im the owner of the truck I was sad to see go and hoped the new owner gave it a good home little to know that would be me.
Turns out he bought it for me the 2nd day of the convention and every one Know but me.
Thanks Dad.

Attachments

1crook

Clinto and I looked at your truck for a while at the Convention, it is very nice. I know it had to be hard for your Dad to keep the truck a surprise. He seemed so happy talking about buying it for you. :grin:

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
That's beautiful! Congratulations! May you, your dad, and your new truck share many happy memories as the years and miles go by. +)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Xm211

What a cool Dad. Can't wait to see his next father's day gift. I'm just in awe looking at one of the rarest Early Deuce models and what a great story to go with it, thank you for sharing. A little MVPA love. When you get a chance could you share some photos of the details, engine, steering wheel, back of cab harness, fifth wheel, anything and everything, please. I must have one some day and meanwhile I'm really going to enjoy staring at yours, for hours, if that's ok. Real interested on the Date of Delivery, here are a few of mine. Looking for 19-9-xx

farm surv13 14 g749 392.jpgfarm surv13 14 g749 508.jpgfarm surv13 14 g749 523.jpg

Spent the day on my M135 so I know that smile on your face. Congrats on the new truck.

jdknech

I know for a fact that Matt will love that truck like no other, and there could not have been a better home for it to go to! I have never seen Matt as happy as I did yesterday at the parade! and If you cant tell from the pics, this is a GORGEOUS truck, inside and out, as well as mechanically.. :goodjob:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking to your Dad in front of his 813 about that freakin heavy tow bar on the front and he told me to come over and look at this tractor. I walked around it and noticed it is already setup for a fifth wheel and pretty it was was. He then asked me if I could keep a secret. He said he bought it and told me what he was going to do that for the parade.

So yes, everyone knew but you Matt. Even Holly was excited for you when I told her after I got back. I was just hoping you would post something about it.

Congrats and the truck and I can't wait to see it buried in mud at Haspin. ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! No!! I mean yes! Congrats on your new truck. Any deuce tractor is cool but noooo, please don't listen to Steve. Come June next year, hide that truck from anything Haspin.

renodogs

It's pure joy for a Dad to do something like this. It's no different than when he gave you your first bike- except the size of the bill :)

May you have many excellent road trips with it, but do take lots of pictures and hang them on your wall. Make sure those pics have your Dad with you in front of it, that is priceless for your own story.

Have fun with it, she looks beautiful!

SF

Dave
Reno, NV

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,
Congrats on your addition to the collection. Your dad is a good man. Now for a matching M146. Keep it high and dry, and out of the mud.
JC

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard it from a little birdie that Dad has his eye on an M373 trailer for camping. You know Christmas is here before Father's Day.........

What Kenny doesn't realize is that there is a fall Haspin too, no need to wait until next summer to bury it in the silt pond. (No Matt, don't listen to Gimpy and go out on a midnight firewood run with it either.)

gunboy1656

I had been drooling over that truck for several years on armyjeeps.net. Just could never see paying what they asked.

Because of my dad I got a mule. Glad he got something to make both of you happy It is great having a father who shares your hobby.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how many times have you slept in it? Have you waxed the whole thing yet?

Matt1970M35A

Thanks to all. Special thanks to all who know and keep it a secret.
As far as mud sorry. If this truck gets mud on it it will be because the mud was on the road and I was unable to avoid it.
Ill post pics as soon as I can. Its not home just yet. Need to make room to keep it in. Its to nice to set out.
I did get sweet and blood on the engine and I will wash and wax it as soon as its home inside and out.
As far as a trailer I am looking for a M-146 or a M373 to build a camper out of. I would like to find a low boy for it as well.
Or may be find something to set my old 1943 PE-73 on. That would look way cool.
Now Ive got the big trailer bug. Well sort of big. At lest small road tractor size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks