• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Hillbilly Crawls Under His 5 Ton And . . .

arkansawn

Gentlepeople of the Forum,

My M923A2 recently threw a torque rod after skidding several oak logs. It was great fun trying to figure out what was happening at the time.

Here is what popped out: the driver's side, frontmost part of the backmost lower torque rod. The truck is now stranded in an odd position in one of my fields (on a hill and leaning a bit).

Never removed one of these things before and getting it back to the shop while not impossible isn't going to be easy. My question is: is there enough clearance to remove both castle nuts so that I can remove and fix it without removing tires or other components of the truck?

Thanks!

Arkansawn

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Gentlepeople of the Forum,

My M923A2 recently threw a torque rod after skidding several oak logs. It was great fun trying to figure out what was happening at the time.

Here is what popped out: the driver's side, frontmost part of the backmost lower torque rod. The truck is now stranded in an odd position in one of my fields (on a hill and leaning a bit).

Never removed one of these things before and getting it back to the shop while not impossible isn't going to be easy. My question is: is there enough clearance to remove both castle nuts so that I can remove and fix it without removing tires or other components of the truck?

Thanks!

Arkansawn
Yes. There are several toque rod replacement threads. You can chain a tire to the front steer axle then turn the steering wheel to pull it back in line. Or a chain fall from the axle to something stationary behind the truck to adjust it back into spot.

You can do all the torque rod nuts with the tires on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tobyS

Can you work it into position and get it back on with jacks and blocking? Then use a ratchet strap to keep it on, back to the shop.

arkansawn

Can you work it into position and get it back on with jacks and blocking? Then use a ratchet strap to keep it on, back to the shop.
Possibly but the fact that it's listing and on a hill makes this a bit sketchy. I can probably pull the middle axle forward with a chain hoist. I was mostly wondering whether or not I could simply remove the torque rod by getting access to those nuts and then running into town to have a new end pressed in it.

Arkansawn

74M35A2

Those two are easy access. 2-1/4” end wrench for the rear, and same or socket for the front. Use wood splitting wedge to apply seperation force, smack the bracket with a hammer it will come off. You may need a second end wrench to extend the first for increased leverage. Don’t bother trying to pull cotter keys, just rotate the nut and shear them off.

I have used the large ratchet straps to pull and hold axle back into place to drive home, then repair, twice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks