• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A spot to question site rules and how they are enforced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan4x4

I am asking this question respectfully.

Is there a spot on this site or person that we can email to discuss the rules of this site and their enforcement?..... Without getting our thread deleted, a warning, or a suspension? It seems lately that being reprimanded for spelling errors and the amount closed/deleted posts are getting out of hand. Mind you, I am not trying to open a can of worms here, I am just wondering why certain people on this site (some of the mods) are so ridiculously strict with some of the stuff? Is all of it really necessary?

Everyone makes spelling errors, that is what pencil erasers are for. Not everyone reads all the rules daily or has all of the committed to memory. So people are going to make some mistakes that is a given. In general, some are bad spellers for one reason or another. As long as the person isn't using poor grammar purposely then why all the fuss?

Anyway. I am just wondering why we are essentially treated like we are in kindergarten. Unless there is an obvious, malicious, purposeful violation of the very lengthy list of rules, why cant adults be treated as such, minor mistakes be over looked etc?

Jeff

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the person isn't using poor grammar purposely then why all the fuss?
Unless there is an obvious, malicious, purposeful violation of the very lengthy list of rules, why cant adults be treated as such, minor mistakes be over looked etc?

Jeff
If it's the post I am thinking, you just answered your own question on what has been happening.

michigan4x4

Either way... Mods, if you are watching, and I am sure you are, please move this thread to the "SS Main site Improvements, Updates and Suggestions" forum. I would appreciate it. I should have posted there in the first place.

Thanks
Jeff

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always use the "contact us" link at the bottom right of every page. These go directly to the administrator.

In general, your best off discussing your issues with the moderator or person you have issues with.

Asking the membership to capitalize the first word in every sentence, is not too much to ask.

We strive to build this site into a useful resource of information for generations to come. Think of it like this, if you went to a library, found a book on a topic your interested in researching, then you opened the book only to find unintelligible, unsensible utterances(rather that sentences), would you be disappointed? Would that really help you? Would it really be worth keeping such a book in the library?

This site is much more than a "blog" or "chat-room".

Also consider, You only see what is posted, you have no idea what is said in private.

Last edited:

michigan4x4

You can always use the "contact us" link at the bottom right of every page. These go directly to the administrator.

In general, your best off discussing your issues with the moderator or person you have issues with.

Asking the membership to capitalize the first word in every sentence, is not too much to ask.

We strive to build this site into a useful resource of information for generations to come. Think of it like this, if you went to a library, found a book on a topic your interested in researching, then you opened the book only to find intelligible, unsensible utterances(rather that sentences), would you be disappointed? Would that really help you? Would it really be worth keeping such a book in the library?

This site is much more than a "blog" or "chat-room".

Also consider, You only see what is posted, you have no idea what is said in private.
I agree... To an extent. This site is made up of a bunch of "individuals" from all over the country and even overseas. Not everyone is able to write using "the queens" English with proper punctuation, capitalization etc. Nor do we all have the same levels of eduction. This forum is also not a published work that has been edited by a professional. I understand that the folks using cell phones with auto spell may need a quick PM every so often, but, in my opinion, 98% of what I have see on this site is readable and makes perfect sense to common Joe.

What bothers me most is there are mods that sit in front of the computer all day long and seem to jump on the backs of those that make the slightest mistake, grammar or otherwise. Is it really worth your time? Is there a fear amongst mods that this site is going to turn into a mess of intelligible, "insensible", utterances?

I was reprimanded yesterday, by you in fact, for posting a link to a Craigslist ad for a Gamma Goat here in MI. Yes, I know I broke the rules (figure that out when I got your PM and my post was deleted) but what does the administration of this site think I am gaining by posting such an ad? I was simply trying to help a MV hobbyist possibly locate an MV that was for sale privately. My thought when posting was that this site was about MV hobbyists, collectors, and the preservation of MVs. Who knows, maybe I helped a SS member find the Gamma he has been looking for and maybe I saved a gamma from the scrap yard. I did not post a thread announcing the next lot of surplus items on GL. I can see where that may be a problem. I didn't announce that bidding has started on a certain item. Shame on me.

In closing, I just wanted to point out my frustrations. I am not interested in an argument. I just think that the "moderation" is getting a bit out of hand and some things should be left as they are. If we were living in communist Russia in the early 80's fine, but we are not and some things such as spelling errors and mistakes should be expected and accepted. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks for the opportunity to express my opinion.

Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is so much more that goes on behind the scenes that folks are unaware of. Not one of the mods is out to get anyone. We have a private forum that we often discuss issues and such. Most of what you see is progressive. After reminders, suggestions and warnings go ignored, we must move on to the next step and thats when it gets noticed. If we just ignore folks purposefully breaking rules that they have been warned about then the site will decay into a camouflaged version of Pirate and that is not what the admin wants. There are few warnings regarding the links as this is a hot topic and comes up often. Anyone who has had the time to make even 50 posts has seen someone get scolded for that. This site has evolved into what it is. Past issues have made that rule necessary. We do strive for improvement but I can assure you that dropping the linked auction and sale rule will create more chaos then you think. We have already travelled that road.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, you have no idea why some of our rules exist. I'm not going to go into details why either.

I did not "reprimand" you at all. I corrected your post to fit within the rules. I could have simply deleted it, gave you an infraction point, and not send you any message/reason why.

I think I handled your situation very gently and appropriately.

Maybe your a bit too sensitive.

If you don't like the rules, or want a detailed reason why we have such a rule, posting in the forums is not the place to get the answer. PM the site owner or administrator, and when they have time, maybe they will give you a detailed explanation of why we have a specific rule(after over 10 years of growth).

This thread is now closed, no need for further discussion here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks