• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"A Tale of Two MEP-802A And The PU Trailer They Road In On"

Bluevic443

First off, hope everyone is doing well in this time of "Self Quarantine".
I was the shocked winner in GP auction out of San Antonio, Texas. Was watching the auction site and amazed at how high the 803a's were going for!!!! Then the 802a's without trailers were going for what seamed about right. Then came up the two 802's on a PU trailer. Was watching the bidding and it seamed very slow paced and was below what I thought these two low hour units would go for. So at the last minute I put in a bid of $1800.00 knowing that there will be a flurry of bids like at the very end...… Well, going, going, going,....SOLD!!!!!:oops: REALLY, NO, REALLY!!!! Now I am the proud owner of two generators and a very nice trailer.IMG_5618.JPG

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score... you have to be patient enough to find the real winners like this auction. Hope they are both excellent machines with little work needed.

Bluevic443

Sense I was home over the kids spring break and still had time off I contacted GP and asked if there was a way to pic it up early? Mind you that this was the very beginning of this Covid-19 outbreak. I was told "If I could be there by 0800 Friday to come and get it". Panic buying a pental hitch and gathering all the other necessities, I was off. The trip home was uneventful and that trailer tow nice!!!IMG_5621.JPG
Kids now have something new to clime on!!!

Bluevic443

Now the twins need to be separated!!!
I have been reading all the post a gathering all the supplies to go through these machines and bring them up to date. Fuel lines, well nuts, SST fasteners, JD break in oil for the unit with 29 hours, and filters. First issue, you can't get the tank access panel off with them facing front to front with just enough offset to get to the fuel cap!!! So....IMG_5660.JPG
IMG_5661.JPG
Dang that trailer is tall!!!!
IMG_5662.JPGIMG_5666.JPG
Safely in the ER!!!

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Now the twins need to be separated!!!
I have been reading all the post a gathering all the supplies to go through these machines and bring them up to date. Fuel lines, well nuts, SST fasteners, JD break in oil for the unit with 29 hours, and filters. First issue, you can't get the tank access panel off with them facing front to front with just enough offset to get to the fuel cap!!! So....View attachment 794603
View attachment 794605
Dang that trailer is tall!!!!
View attachment 794606View attachment 794607
Safely in the ER!!!
Where there is the will there follows the way, this has some train wreck written on it but you pulled it off and well done.. mac/mc

reset2

I almost purchased another Power Plant but the one I was looking at sold for $2500. In hind site should have went at least one more bid.
Good catch for you. That is one thing with GP watch each sale and hopefully as a bidder you will be rewarded. When ever you get it up and running can you shoot a video on how the transfer switch works. Just curious on how the 802s sync up.

Guyfang

Staff member
I almost purchased another Power Plant but the one I was looking at sold for $2500. In hind site should have went at least one more bid.
Good catch for you. That is one thing with GP watch each sale and hopefully as a bidder you will be rewarded. When ever you get it up and running can you shoot a video on how the transfer switch works. Just curious on how the 802s sync up.
It an easy operation. As long as you read the boot and follow directions.

Bluevic443

More progress:
IMG_5673.JPG

First shipment of new parts!!! Off eBay. Free shipping too. If I am going to buy for one, I have to buy for the other one!!!
IMG_5679.JPG
Yup, they are toast from the out side but actually looked good when I cut them out.IMG_5687.JPG

They don't want that tank to come out, do they!!! Blocked up the whole assembly with some wood to clear the fork pocket.
IMG_5706.JPG
should be good for another 23 years:cool:

Bluevic443

Fuel line day:
Read all the stories about the leaking cloth fuel supply and return lines after their first run after retirement. So, out they came. First let's check the air filter sense the top is off. Really!!!
IMG_5682.JPG

Can't get the filter out do to the Artic Kit!!! Out comes the filter canister!!!
IMG_5685.JPG

This is the fuel return hose from across the top of the engine. It is stiff and the cloth is falling off in my hands.
IMG_5694.JPG

Presto!!!!
IMG_5696.JPG

Now the main line from the tank. Thought those AN fittings looked like they could be rebuildable:
IMG_5690.JPG
End of Fuel line day.:cool:

Bluevic443

Just undo the bolts on the top of the air filter bracket assy, and bend them out of the way. The canister lifts up and out.
That's what I did, removed the whole canister. The "Artic Kit" just means you have to take the cover off to check the air filter. The filter itself looks brand new and a Baldwin. Clean air filter, CHECK.

Bluevic443

i'm thinking down in Texas you could probably get away with removing the Artic kit... :LOL:
Thought about that too. Looked to see what it would take to remove. Between the coolant lines and the wiring harness that is wove through the machine, they will stay for now. Found a fuse tucked along the right door that I think powers the unit, it was blown. Going to try to get it to work also.

Bluevic443

Fuel Pump Day:
Hope everyone is staying sane with all the news and being stuck at home. I'm part of the group that is considered "Essential Personnel". Been working a split shift, morning one week then evenings the next. We had a large back log but that has been worked and now few new orders are coming in. This generator project has kept me busy on the weekends.
On with the task at hand!!!
Purchased two 51R batteries and installed them. I had drained the "grey" oil out after I got them home so I put some cheap 15/40 to flush the old oil out and to top it off. The oil filter saw still dry!!!! It stayed.
Spun the engine over by hand a few revolutions to verify that it would(y). Crossed my fingers, and bumped the crank switch, starter engaged and sounded normal.
Went to the control panel and switched it to prime to clear the air out of the lines. Let it run for a few moments and all I heard was gurgling. Switched it to aux to check the aux pump, Nothing!!!:cautious: Started with the main pump. Remembered I have two "spares" on the other machine.:naner:
IMG_5708.JPG
OK WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!!!

Got that squared away and rigged up a temp fuel supply and took her outside. Found an old inline fuse in my pile of "stuff I will need some day" and it had a 3 amp fuse in it too:sneaky:. Windings protected!!!
Turned the switch to prime/run. Heard a defiant change in the pumps tone as the air was moved out and replaced with fuel.
Pulled the return line out of the temp tank and was seeing bubbles, then straight fuel. Went back to the control panel and with a deep breath turned to START. VVVVRRRRROOOOMMMM and a belch of black smoke, Oil pressure came up to 45 psi and I let go of the switch. IT'S ALIVE!!!!! And I shut it down. Went to check the oil level, good. Poured some of the coolant I drained in the hose so the pump was not dry. Checked for any leaks, none. Let's start it again!!! Prime/run, sounds good, run. VVVVRRRRROOOOMMMM and a belch of black smoke!!! Oil pressure, Check. Alternator gauge, went into the green and is settling back, Check. Volts is at 240, check. Hertz is over 60, adjusted back, Check. Plug in a power tool at the convenience plug, comes on, Check. Temp gauge starting to show an increase in temp. Oh crap, water pumping out, thermostat opened, NO CHECK!!! Radiator still at the shop being repaired.
IMG_5693.JPG
End of Fuel Pump Day.
Practice your social distancing!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks