• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 rear bumper question

DatGuyC

I'm looking to put an a2 rear bumper on my m998 and I'm noticing that some have different style end pegs. One style is round and the other is sorta like a triangle. I'm wondering if there is a significant difference between the two bumpers or maybe its just cosmetic.

KansasBobcat

My 94 H1 has the earlier bumper with the triangular shackle stops on the ends. The later A2 has the round ones and is galvanized. The main difference I see is the A2 has a larger reinforced hole for the single point hoisting shackles, which seem to be harder.to find and more expensive. There are some good pictures on G503 that show the differences. The brackets and braces will cost more than the bumper. If you can buy the complete set it will save you time and money. You can install the older shackles on the A2 by grinding or milling a clearance cut on the back.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going to buy a bumper, either make sure you get ALL the pieces, or make very sure you know what your buying if you go the piece meal route...

And not all A2 bumpers were galvanized. Most WERENT....

Last edited:

DatGuyC

If your going to buy a bumper, either make sure you get ALL the pieces, or make very sure you know what your buying if you go the piece meal route...

And not all A2 bumpers were galvanized. Most WERENT....
I couldn't actually find any a2 bracket kits so I'm piecing it together when I find good deals. Already have the passenger side outer frame bracket, the spacer plates, and just ordered the teardrop tie down loops. The only thing really stopping me is that I'm waiting for someone to have the inner frame brackets at a reasonable price. I can find the non-a2 inner frame brackets for like $10 but I've only been able to find the a2's at kascar for over $100 each.

KansasBobcat

I couldn't actually find any a2 bracket kits so I'm piecing it together when I find good deals. Already have the passenger side outer frame bracket, the spacer plates, and just ordered the teardrop tie down loops. The only thing really stopping me is that I'm waiting for someone to have the inner frame brackets at a reasonable price. I can find the non-a2 inner frame brackets for like $10 but I've only been able to find the a2's at kascar for over $100 each.
I found many parts on ebay but ended up ordering some parts from KASCAR.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need the outer 2 brackets, nor to you need the inner 2 brackets, unless you are going to tow with it, and even then I doubt it's needed. You only need the inner and out frame brackets to mount the bumper, you can use A1 outers if you cut in the 2in hole for the tear drop shackle.
If you look at H1's, eventually Am gen did away with all of them as well....but they did add a commercial tow hitch.
it was a slow Elimination, but by 96 turbo diesel, they were done....due to additional fuel tank and exhaust pipe routing.

KansasBobcat

You don't need the outer 2 brackets, nor to you need the inner 2 brackets, unless you are going to tow with it, and even then I doubt it's needed. You only need the inner and out frame brackets to mount the bumper, you can use A1 outers if you cut in the 2in hole for the tear drop shackle.
If you look at H1's, eventually Am gen did away with all of them as well....but they did add a commercial tow hitch.
it was a slow Elimination, but by 96 turbo diesel, they were done....due to additional fuel tank and exhaust pipe routing.
I agree with the Hummer guy however with drivers in San Antonio I wanted all the protection I can get!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just add them as you find them....I personally install of them, they are needed to install the pioneer Kit which I equip on on my trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks