• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 bed on A2

shenkmen

Hi there,

I'm replacing the semi rotted bed on my A2 with a bed from an A3

The A3 bed has a bracket which the rear marker lights and trailer plug mount to (see attached pic).

Questions...

1. Will my stock A2 wiring harness allow the trailer plug to mount in the A3 plate?
  2. Can this plate be removed and installed with the bed on the truck?
  3. Where can I get one of these brackets? Lights included would be nice. I've been calling around and haven't had much luck.
  4. Any other tips on this swap? I know I need to remove the mud flaps and pioneer rack and plan on soaking all nuts with PB Blaster ahead of time. All lights have been removed from the A3 bed.
Thanks

Attachments

Jake0147

Wait, I thought the stock A2 beds were reused? Is that an add on (cut out and add on) or were new replacements spec'ed that way at some point?

shenkmen

If the beds were reused they were modified. All of the A3's that I've seen have that light and trailer plug setup.

Any help out there for my original post?

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Will my stock A2 wiring harness allow the trailer plug to mount in the A3 plate
Yes. But you will have to add some wiring in order to run the additional lights an A3 bed has. My A3 bed has a small wiring harness that plugs into the standard rear harness.

Can this plate be removed and installed with the bed on the truck?
I think so. Goes out through the bottom.

Where can I get one of these brackets? Lights included would be nice. I've been calling around and haven't had much luck.
I'll bet you will have a very hard time sourcing it. You probably will have better luck fabricating it. Try Memphis, Clark, White Owl, etc. Start at Memphis.

Any other tips on this swap? I know I need to remove the mud flaps and pioneer rack and plan on soaking all nuts with PB Blaster ahead of time. All lights have been removed from the A3 bed.
Don't forget the wiring. Replace and adjust the parking brake while the bed is off. Paint frame and axles if desired while bed is off. Bed weighs approximately 1500 lbs, so don't drop it on you. Have new wood strips ready for swap. YOu can lift the bed by the cargo tie down hooks. If you plan on repainting the truck, go ahead and paint the back of the cab while you have access.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks