• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 fuel Problems,was broke down in Morganfield, Kentucky

RainbowDash

I'm on my way back to Montana and the A3 is having problems getting fuel. It just chugs along at about 25mph

I replaced the fuel filter a few months ago

Is there anyone in the area who could perhaps come take a look at it?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am of zero help physically, but the member maps say forum member M816Buch lives in Morganfield and has an M816 wrecker and M109A3. I sent a private message to M816Buch for help on your behalf.

With these two forum members are an hour north in Mt Vernon, Indiana:
monkster
leroygreen

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One was last on in August and the other in June.

We have two members over closer to Louisville but your best bet is for the M35A3 guys to chime in.

I suspect fuel filters. I'm not as familiar with the A3 but does it have an in tank pump? Is it working? Then go to the primaries.

One step at a time to rule out all the easy stuff.

RainbowDash

Mine only has the lift pump on the engine and nothing in the tank, I changed the fuel filter 5 months or so ago and have driven it very lightly since

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay

Are there any places you can get a new filter? I'd still try that first.

Clean fuel? Fittings tight along the entire fuel line? (No sucking air.)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A post I found from Warthog:

The check valve on the fuel tank likes to rust closed causing a no fuel situation.

There is no in tank fuel pump so bleeding/priming the fuel system takes some work.

RainbowDash

I'll try a new filter

So far all the fittings appear very tight

The check valve from on top of the tank opens when I blow air into it, so I think its letting fuel pass through it

The problem started on the trip and gradually got worse until now where it just chugs, and I've gotten new fuel since then and it's only gotten worse

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a post from about fuel system and priming hoefler:

I have gone through two A3 fuel systems.
What to do. First, take the elbow off the top of the tank-there is a check valve in it. It may be gummed up. Clean it so the valve-ball operates freely. Re-install. Open petcock on bottom of fuel filter. Stuff a rag in top of tank and gently apply compressed air into tank until fuel starts to run out of open petcock. Close petcock. Try starting-she should fire right up. Once running, drive to Dairy Queen and get large malt.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But it sounds like you may have crud in the tank that slowly got sucked in and clogged the filter.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA Auto Parts

Address: 1075 US Highway 60 W, Morganfield, KY 42437
Phone:(270) 389-3593

RainbowDash

Alright, ran some compressed air through the line, no fuel came out of the petcock, when I changed the fuel filter or even when I have it running and I open it, it never lets anything out anyway

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, no fuel at the bottom of the filter? Can you take the line off the tank at the ball valve and figure out a way to get compressed air into the tank fill opening?

Maybe the pickup is clogged.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the pickup is clogged.
That's what I think is happening. According to the book the A3 comes with a screen/strainer at the end of the pickup tube.

If there is enough dirt in there it will soon be clogged again. One way to keep going is blowing air into that tube, at elbow #25.
Best if he could make a stop somewhere and have that tank cleaned.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks