• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 pickup from Barstow, front flat tire

LORENZ

I'm guessing the CTIS will inflate her back up and I can drive off? Would I get so lucky. It sounds like a common problem.

Any tips any of you can swing me. I'm hoping its just an oring that I may be able to replace on the spot. Do they allow guys to wrench on vehicles on pickup? I'd assume they'd have to let you make it rollable to get it on a trailer at least?

Any leads on the bulbs and rear tail light reflector, I'm sure it's another easy fix with the bulb and reflector in hand if I do a little home work before I get there...

Thanks for bearing with the noobie questions.

Attachments

quickfarms

They will let you air up the tires and check out the vehicle before loading it on a trailer or towing it away.

There are two schools of thought on picking up a vehicle.

Some people drive them off

I prefer to have vehicles towed off of the base.

It all depends on the vehicle and how far you are going.

Where are you located?

flyxpl

you should be able to air it up without the ctis . Looks to me like it has been driven while flat , NOT GOOD . Also not good to just be sitting flat for long time . Allot of guys are going to tell you not to drive on that tire especially being a steer tire .

AMX

The CTIS will not inflate the tire if it has less than 10psi., according to many more experiencied than I.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was there last week to pick up my M925a2 and got lucky just dead batteries drove it LA no problems. Keep in mind you are only allowed a certain amount of time to work on it there. I wouldn't trust the CTIS either you will have to fill it from an outside source or if it truck has a spare just swap it out.

sierra117

If it starts and runs you use what i do while driving truck over the road and that is a air hose with a glad hand on one end which you would hook to the back of the deuce and on the other end is a end for airing up tires. You can pick one up at most truckstops.

goodguyzy

so you are the one who outbid me:grin:. CTIS will not inflate tire. Manually fill tire, i run 55 PSI. The leak is more than likely the CTIS. Do a search on M35A3, you will get a lot of info.

3dAngus

I'm guessing the CTIS will inflate her back up and I can drive off? Would I get so lucky. It sounds like a common problem.

Any tips any of you can swing me. I'm hoping its just an oring that I may be able to replace on the spot. Do they allow guys to wrench on vehicles on pickup? I'd assume they'd have to let you make it rollable to get it on a trailer at least?

I'll share with you my most recent experience in pumping up dead tires with CTIS which occurred this week.

I went to Robins to investigate/preview some M35A3s I was interested in. One of the vehicles had a winch, and two flat tires, one on the front right, and one on the rear. Truck started and ran fine. I checked CTIS, and it read 3psi on the tires. I let the air run up to 120psi and pumped up the tires. It upped it to about 5psi when the pressure dropped to 90psi in the compressor tank and stopped pumping up the tires. It would not make an effort to repump up the tires when it was at 5psi even after the tank pressure came up to a full 120psi. So I cycled CTIS from "Highway" to "off road", or something like that, which was expected to pump the tires up to something less than the desireed Highway pressure of 45psi. When I changed it to "Off road" (someone plug in the correct text naming convention there), which was expected to pump the tires to about 35psi, it started to pump air in the tires again. Tires came up to 7psi. I did this cycling back and forth for about 20-30 minutes, trying to incrementally get more and more air in the tires. I could not hear leaks in them. The back tire filled up completely, hard as a rock, and I gave up on the front when all I could get in it was about 21 pounds. It was enough to get it to a air pump on the premises a couple hundred yards away, but I was thinking if it would not hold air from CTIS, but the back one pumped up fully, then even if I put air in it from an air hose it would still leak out in no time and the vehicle would be semi-dangerous to drive on the highway at 55mph with only 20psi in the steering tire, and even worse perhaps, on only one side.

CTIS might pump up your tire under any condition, but the question is, will it be enought, and second to that is, will it hold when you are going down the road. I don't like CTIS even though I think it is cool.

Be sure to have a spare and all the tools to change a flat on the road.
Good luck!

Last edited:

LORENZ

I live in San Diego.

@ goodguyz, so your the one that cost me an extra grand :). Did you happen to preview the beast before the bidding opened? I wasn't able to get out there and ended up bidding on it blind. Did you see anything else that I should he prepared for when I pick her up? Ill give you a ride in it if you can come up with half of the $1000.

I really hope to drive it home.

goodguyzy

I did throw out some low bids early I think you should fill up the tires, fix the light, do your checks and drive out. Some of the common problems are cracked tires blowing out and alternators smoking due to dead batteries.

Chief_919

That tire clearly has been driven while flat. It doesn't take much of that to ruin one- I would not trust that tire on the highway in the summer heat at Barstow.

ryker725

Bring the necessary jack and tools and put the spare on if you plan to drive it (if a spare is on the truck). I would not trust that tire, especially it it was driven on while flat..

Last edited:

LORENZ

What size socket do I need for the lug nuts? I'll have my set but want to make sure I have a big enough socket.

My Aluminum Craftsman Jack isn't going to cut it. Any recommendations on a good bottle jack that will fit in one of the compartments of the A3? I'd like to leave it in there for emergencies tire changes on the road. It does have a spare and it would be prudent to swap it out before I get on the road.

AceHigh

I think 1 1/2". Just get a 6 or 12 ton jack at walmart, good to go. Don't forget jack stands too.

Airing up from the gladhand is even easier if you buy a couple of valve extensions and a clamp on filler for your air hose. Just don't over inflate.

Last edited:

ODw/envy

I would like a chance to :deadhorse: and also strongly advise you not to drive with that tire in the steering position. I would even go and buy one and take it with me. You will need it anyway. 100dollarman is close and a great guy to do business with.

I just drove my A2 900 miles sight unseen. According to the info it had "no bakes". Bled them (brand new master cylinder), did a complete service, changed a tire, and did a full inspection. I hooked up the F250 to the back and towed it 22hrs home. No problem!

BTW the torque is 325-350 ft/lbs per the TMs. It takes approx. 5ft of breaker bar and my 150lbs frame sittings on it to do the job by myself. Plus the rim/tire combo on the A2 is 220#. A3 is heavier. I would line up a few people locally for assistance should things go astray.

It is better to be prepared. I would be glad to offer but 450 miles into enemy territory with an unregistered deuce is asking for trouble.

I have used Erik's Military Surplus for parts and have been very satisfied. Many others would say the same. He will be able to set you up with just about anything you need.

Good luck,
OD

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

I would like a chance to :deadhorse: and also strongly advise you not to drive with that tire in the steering position. I would even go and buy one and take it with me. You will need it anyway. 100dollarman is close and a great guy to do business with.

I just drove my A2 900 miles sight unseen. According to the info it had "no bakes". Bled them (brand new master cylinder), did a complete service, changed a tire, and did a full inspection. I hooked up the F250 to the back and towed it 22hrs home. No problem!

BTW the torque is 325-350 ft/lbs per the TMs. It takes approx. 5ft of breaker bar and my 150lbs frame sittings on it to do the job by myself. Plus the rim/tire combo on the A2 is 220#. A3 is heavier. I would line up a few people locally for assistance should things go astray.

It is better to be prepared. I would be glad to offer but 450 miles into enemy territory with an unregistered deuce is asking for trouble.

I have used Erik's Military Surplus for parts and have been very satisfied. Many others would say the same. He will be able to set you up with just about anything you need.

Good luck,
OD
I just bought my truck from 100DollarMan. He is great to do buisness with and has a lot of really neat trucks on his lot. You should definitely consider contacting him for a good spare.

Congrats on the truck!

motomacguyver

My A3 had several flats that the CTIS system would NOT inflate, The GL rep had a glad-hand air connecter and filled the tires up enough to get to the nearest truck stop. I filled them all to 50+ PSI and drove home checking every 1/2 hour or so for hot tires, bearings, etc. (Only a 2 hour drive) I was warned VERY seriously with direct eye contact... That he has had 2 catastrophic tire failures from trucks on his lot. (THANKS Mike) The long term solution for me was that 4 of 7 tires had slow leaks. Replaced the large rim O rings and the valve stem O rings and with the CTIS turned OFF, the tires hold air.

I am still working on the CTIS system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks