• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to buy an M1009: this n00b need advice!!

wisconsinz

Hey Guys,

Always wanted a K5 and now I have the opportunity to buy an 85' M1009 in my area. Gonna go look at it tomorrow, but apparently it was a southern truck ("no rust"), 64k miles, and "unaltered from military." Sounds great so far. Just thought I'd get your expert opinions. Anything specific I should look for with its condition?

He wants $4800, but I'm gonna show up with only $4000. What's the most I should pay for this thing?

Thanks!!

Rustsleeps

Sometimes, when people paint metal and spray or roll bedliner on floors they are trying to make something look better. Sometimes they are trying to make a silk purse out of a pig ear and cover up something that doesn't look so good, like a bunch of rust.... Just say'en, take a good look top and bottom-welcome to the site-keep us updated....AND nopicswe like photos!

wisconsinz

Proud '85 m1009 owner!!!

The truck is in EXCELLENT condition! Seller was a great guy, and kept it collector-like condition after he bought it off the train at a military auction. Turns out he's a fellow steel soldier (thanks StellaRuthie)! After I saw its condition I knew it was well worth what he was asking. Insides coated with Herculiner, and undercarriage has some thin rubber coating (i think?). Engine looks great too--only 64k on it! Drove great at higher speeds on the way home and kept me plenty warm. Good tires too!

Couple concerns:

1) Starts a little rough when its cold (turns over for a long time, then slows down). I'm wondering if this could be an electrical drain because he just recently bought 2 new batteries? Any advice?

2) When it idles it shutters a bit. Hasn't died yet, but the shutters make me nervous.

Other than those concerns, most of my plans will be cosmetic. Love the Military stencils, but not crazy about the tan (wish they would've kept it green!), so I don't know if i'll repaint it. I've always wanted to paint an SUV like the Jurassic Park Explorers. http://img.waffleimages.com/1cf7abb8de0a10472c6a8fa21e01db88983d7521/jurassic park explorer.jpg
Also gotta get some tunes and cup-holders in there, so I think i'll build an all-in-one console like cucv1833 did here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/cucv/286645d1320644172-m1009-stereo-install-dsc00289.jpg http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/cucv/286646d1320644172-m1009-stereo-install-dsc00288.jpg
Would also like to lift it....i think k5s look the best when lifted. And finally, the main reason I went with a diesel K5 (besides the better mpg), is because this is gonna be my next veg conversion project. This summer I converted my Chevy 6.5L Express short bus with a system from Enviofuel and things are going great. And before you jump all over me with veg conversion warnings/horror stories, I'm gonna do this right, so don't worry!

Comments/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Attachments

wisconsinz

I couldn't find it under the hood so I'm assuming this isn't equipped with the Underhood Heater (or Winterization kit heater) mentioned in my TM?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks