• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC-130U Gunship up close

Porath

I thought you guys might want to see some of the guns on my plane

25mm gatling gun

40mm bofors cannon

105mm howitzer

You can run, but you'll only die tired!

Desert Rat

Jon,
Daggone! Now that's what I call an attitude adjuster! Must be deafening to hear those things go off...... Eh, what did ya say? Must make cutting the lawn much easier too.

Porath

The 350 round burst with the 25mm is pretty awesome... Huge psychological effect. The 105mm can toss bodies(or body parts) over tree tops, I wish I could show you some of our video footage, but they usually don't release that stuff to the public because is can get really graphic. The 105mm kicks the airplane to the side quite a bit too, it feels like getting t-boned in your car.

Desert Rat

Dang Jon! You mean you're dirt trackin' in the air? That's way too cool! It must mess up the air flow over the wings just a bit.

1ton

The spookies were the gunships based off the C-47s and these the new ones are the Spectres.
They are the coolest thing that specailizes in turning left ever

Elwenil

1ton said:
The spookies were the gunships based off the C-47s and these the new ones are the Spectres.
They are the coolest thing that specailizes in turning left ever
According to Jane's the Specters are the older version. Here's what Jane's has to say about them:

Jane's Aircraft Recognition Guide said:
The Hercules Gunship concept goes back to the AC-47 of the Vietnam War era. The first C-130H Specter, fitted with various sensors and a heavy armament, flew in September 1989. The improved AC-130U Spooky, modified by Rockwell North American (now Boeing), flew in December 1990.
The Vietnam era AC-47s were also known as "Spooky" and "Puff The Magic Dragon", but Kenny is correct in thinking the AC-130U is called a Spooky by the military.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was at Fort Benning, Ga. My unit used to do range clearances which included replacing target vehicles on Kilo Impact Area.
The Spectres used to fly up from Fla. and fire all their weapons onto Kilo.
We watched them work out one night and it was a truely awesome sight.
It's no wonder the VC called them "Dragon Planes". When the 20MM gattling guns fired it looked like a solid stream of fire coming out of the sky.
Driving down range was a trip it's self. All the big trees were shot off at a 45 degree angle and the target vehicles were a series of holes connected by scrap metal.
I saw some really cool MV's shot to pieces.
There is a song about the Spectres sung to the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky".
If you get a chance, to go the Air Force Ordance museum in Fla, they have a Spooky and a Spectre on display outside. Inside they have the guns in various configurations.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the guys I work with was on a spectrre gunship in Nam. Some of the stories are unbelievable. The US Military has some devastating hardware. BTW, that looks like the kinda girl you wouldn't want to cross.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: c130 photo op

Looks fake to me - too close proximity. If those pics were real, and the Air Force found out how close they were, that pilot would be grounded for some time.

rmgill

RE: c130 photo op

The turbulance from the C130 would be bad that close. Very Bad. There's a reason that air to air refueling is very difficult. Behind 4 big turbo props and a pretty dirty airframe, that fighter would be bouncing around enough that he'd NOT want to be that close. It also looks odd for the angle of attack, even mushing along.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks