• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Acquired a FLU419 in PA

Speedwoble

This thread is perhaps a little delayed as I have had this truck for several months. I have been saving money and acquiring parts to tear into it.
Purchased from Gov Planet from Ft Bragg. Could see in the photos that it was missing some pieces, but not quite the extent. Delivered by their Veritred shipping service for just over $3/mile. Considering it didn't run and had loose pieces, I thought that was fair.
WP_000128.jpg

It arrived and I found the transmission was missing all shifters and had a gaping hole cracked out of the trans top. This was not disclosed in the auction, and the photo was taken from an angle that did not show it. I tried to open an Ironclad Dispute, but was told that since it was sold as non-op, they won't permit any dispute. I had priced a new motor into my bid, but not a new trans. Lesson learned, and hopefully one or the other will turn out usable. I think I can put it together for a cost equal to the ones currently being surplussed in complete condition, but will definitely know more about the platform by going through the process.

I will try to add pictures and progress here as I resuscitate it.
I've already talked to Von and Expedition imports. Based upon that, my first priority is to document the condition of the engine and trans before deciding whether it is best to continue or part out.

Things missing:
Seat bottoms
RH Stabilizer Cylinder
Headlights, tail-lights
Loader Hydraulic controls
Transmission shifters
Fuel filters
Spare tire
Cover below excavator tilt controls
Front axle suspension lock-outs for loader work
Air filters
Fuses/relays
LH door vent window and weather stripping.
Brake fluid caps

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You picked two of the best sources of advice on your situation. Condolences on the bad transmission. That is indeed BAD news and a terrible way to be introduced to the world of Unimogs.

Speedwoble

I have access to the Case drawings for the backhoe, so I was able to look up the specs for my missing Stabilizer cylinder. It was a 33.82" closed, 21.77" stroke 4" bore, 2" rod and 1.5" pins. I found this cylinder on surpluscenter.com (http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...lic-Cylinders/4X21-75X2-DA-HYD-CYL-9-9679.axd) which was a very close fit. The overall length was a little short and the ends were too wide.
We cut the rod end down to 2" total width on a bandsaw at work and I am going to rework the Piston end to correct the length and width. I will post photos then.

Mine was missing the 7/16-20 wing-nuts to hold the air filters in, so I found the donaldson PN and ordered them at the local truck supply store. turns out they have a minimum order qty of 5, but had mercy and sold me just 2. Anyone else need one, contact Class 8 truck Parts in New Holland, PA.

Meanwhile, I begged some laser cut brackets to tilt the cab. Before I could install them, I had to fix the brackets that they mount to on the frame as somebody had stripped the threads. The front cab rubber bushings were mounted with 7/16" bolts, cross-threaded to fit. Luckily my neighbor had a proper M12 thread chase. Then when raising the rear of the cab to add spacer blocks, I found the rear M14 threads were stripped out too! GRRRRRI aua

Proceeding, I tack welded the tilt brackets to check fit and found my measurements were off slightly. I will get this fixed before I start supplying the brackets mentioned in another thread.
WP_20150802_19_24_19_Pro.jpg
Properly fitting, I finished welding them before tilting the cab using a come-along and neighbor's forklift. I made a support pipe to hold it in the upright position for safety. WP_20150803_08_02_32_Pro.jpg

Speedwoble

Here was Gov Planet's photo:473801_6062_3359_0001.jpg
And here is my photo of the trans.WP_000136.jpg

Thanks to the ever-present forklift damage on surplus vehicles, the bolt holding my front Hydraulic pump on was damaged. It is a M20x170 1.50 pitch. This was nearly impossible for me to find, but I did find it in my employer's parts list.
M20x1.5-170 CNH 87493301
M20x1.5 NUT CNH 86015195
WP_20150804_08_05_11_Pro[1].jpg

If anyone has a metric bolt they need, let me know. I may be able to find it in CNH's listings so you can buy it at any Case or New Holland dealership in Qty 1.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Took the Valve cover off and discovered three of the 6 bolts holding injector lines to the injectors are missing. WP_20150804_20_15_12_Pro.jpg
Also pulled the cover off the trans and got to see the damage there. Anybody that has had these apart before care to speculate how the cover got damaged without visible damage to the gears?
WP_20150804_20_43_49_Pro.jpgWP_20150804_20_43_59_Pro.jpg

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure looks like something (from the shift assembly??) exited the rear gear set under protest! Have you rotated the shafts completely to assess each and every tooth of both gears?

Rick

skippytdi

Also pulled the cover off the trans and got to see the damage there. Anybody that has had these apart before care to speculate how the cover got damaged without visible damage to the gears?
View attachment 573889View attachment 573890
Considering what your missing it appears that this was a parts tractor.
The 24p-1 TM lists over 70 parts on that cover..
my guess regarding the cover damage is either that it was damaged while already off the transmission or possibly a strange cab lifting failure incident. (the back of the cab lines up pretty well with your damaged cover, although it would never hit unless something was dangling down from the bottom of the cab.)
Barring finding a cover complete your next best bet would probably be a complete swap to a civilian mog transmission, although i am just assuming that none of the civilian transmission tops will work with the innards of this transmission.
Also the SEE did not come with suspension lockout.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Well, I got tired of borrowing the neighbor's forklift to raise the cab or lift stuff, so I built a little davit to attach to the roll bar. I made the boom portion able to swing 180°, so with any luck I can use this to lift and install the FOPS as well.
WP_20150816_18_08_16_Pro.jpgWP_20150816_18_08_28_Pro.jpg

I got the end of the Hydraulic cylinder cut off and fabricated a new cylinder end. I had to hole saw a 1.5" slug out before boring it to 1.685" for the hardened steel sleeve. It goes into the Hydraulic shop tomorrow to get the ports replaced due to shipping damage and I am going to have them weld on the cylinder end while they have it apart.
WP_20150815_13_19_17_Pro.jpgWP_20150815_19_35_30_Pro.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks