• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding AC to my M1045A2?

JetbikeAnt

Hello All,

I'm considering adding the Military Red Dot AC field retrofit kit to my M1045A2. I found a complete 4 man kit from one of our fellow members. After viewing the kit installed I have a few questions.

1) It looks like it seals the cab from the slant-back portion of the Truck. It looks kinda hokey and almost made me feel claustrophobic already!
2) I have the up-armored Doors installed, so they will not be coming off in the summer, hence the reason for looking at AC. How loud is it in there all buttoned up with the AC on?
3) How well does the unit work? Is it reliable? Refrigerant ready available?

I'm just looking for some pros and cons before I lay down my hard earned cash. For those with these units installed how satisfied are you with their performance , reliability, and could you spare your thoughts. Thank you!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1)I can't say anything about how it fits in a 4 door truck or slantback, but yeah, it does take up quite a bit of space. Personally without a rearview mirror having something in the back of the truck (back when I drove a 1025A1 in the military) anything back of my view out the rear passenger window didn't make any difference to how I perceived the interior space.
If it's that big of an issue, you could spend extra money and do some of the newer aircon kit, with the evaporator in the dash and between the rear passenger seats (but by "extra money" I mean "big money")

2)It's not particularly loud at all. You get some "wooshing" noise from all the air it's moving through it's small outlet vents, but the only thing inside the cab with you is a fan inside the evaporator assembly, so it isn't really much noise. Unless your truck is super noise insulated you likely won't notice much of anything.

3)Red dot units use R134A, very easily available. I haven't had any issues once setup was complete, but I did have to replace the high and low pressure ports due to corrosion inside of them from sitting for so long. The parts were very cheap on ebay, so if you see any signs of corrosion or whatnot it's cheaper to replace them rather than lose a batch of refrigerant.
One thing to note, the Red Dot systems use Sanden compressors (or at least mine did) and use SP-15 oil, not PAG-15 like most units running 134A.

personally, here is my thread for installing a red dot system with a fender mount condenser unit. All it took was basic tools, a little HVAC knowledge, a couple HVAC tools (gauge assembly and vacuum pump) and a little patience (plus a willingness to cut holes in my truck)

I am extremely satisfied with mine. When I first started using it I actually had to turn on the heat as well because it was making my 2 man cab so cold. I've also run it in winter (western washington "winter" mostly consists of cold rain) to defog the windshield.

Action

What happens if the red dot valve fails and it loses all the refrigerant into the can? While you are driving?
At least the factory setup has the valves in the engine compartment.

Action

ummm, huh?
I do not have red dot. I thought i had seen pics of the low and high pressure ports on the side of the evaporator cabinet. Someone mentioned replacing valves. It got me wondering what would happen if one of those valves failed while you were driving. With all of that r134a escaping into the cab.
are those ports inside the truck, on the red dot kits?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
One little psst-ing sound or a big PSSSST... and your out of gas and into the wallet. Bigger chance of taking a bath in the refrigerant oil.

Ozone safe, low toxicity... just like Play Doh, CAMO

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not have red dot. I thought i had seen pics of the low and high pressure ports on the side of the evaporator cabinet. Someone mentioned replacing valves. It got me wondering what would happen if one of those valves failed while you were driving. With all of that r134a escaping into the cab.
are those ports inside the truck, on the red dot kits?
yes, both ports are inside, on the side of the evaporator unit.

If it broke and the R134A started leaking out, you'd know it. Oil all over the place, and high pressure gas (anywhere from 40-250psi depending on environmental and mechanical factors) would come hissing out.

Now, if it failed catastrophically while I was driving, then it would be annoying, and only really a danger as either a distraction or if in my case it sprayed all over me, causing frostbite or freezing damage to me. As for displacing the oxygen in the air, it would have to be quite a substantial leak in order to get high enough concentrations to be an issue, and you would hear it/see the leak long before reaching those levels. Our trucks aren't exactly air tight. For a smaller leak you'd see the oil in the system leaking out all over the place (which is how I determined my first set of valves was bad).

Inhalation of Vapor Problems from inhalation of R134a depend on the dose; small amounts will not harm the lungs. Acute inhalation of larger amounts becomes more worrisome, causing symptoms including temporary nervous system depression, with accompanying drowsiness, lethargy and insensitivity to pain.

Also Know, is refrigerant harmful to humans? Freon is a tasteless, mostly odorless gas. When it is deeply inhaled, it can cut off vital oxygen to your cells and lungs. Limited exposure — for example, a spill on your skin or breathing near an open container — is only mildly harmful. However, you should try to avoid all contact with these types of chemicals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks