• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding oil to fuel of m35a2

Haroldmac

I so know this has been answered but i have had no luck finding it. sorry. I have a 1969 m35A2 with multi fuel engine. I run straight diesel in it. I had read off another wed site that i sound add some new motor oil to the fuel every so often just to lubricate fuel system. Is this true? If so what would you recommend and how much. Thanks in advance. Haroldmac.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It won't hurt anything if you do though. It is a multifuel, after all.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Back in the day when I was an over the road driver we would add a can of automatic transmission fluid to a tank of fuel to "lube the injectors". I'm not sure if this worked or was just an "old truckers tale" but we did it. Of course that was when diesel was .35 cents a gallon and a can of transmission fluid cost about 75 cents.
Your mileage may vary.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself and Hole used to run ATF, hydraulic oil...both new of course, and motor oil as primary fuel. I also used to get free dieselgas. FedEx package car drivers are responsible for fueling their trucks at some locations, so, they would accidentally fill a diesel powered truck with gas. I would get 30 gallons of 50/50 dieselgas. The only thing I ever noticed was if too much oil, it would start hard and too much gas it would hunt at idle.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the governor portion at the front of the pumps are lubricated by engine oil but the actual parts handling the fuel flow are not. The new low sulfur diesel will not properly lubricate the pump head parts and the injector parts. The best thing to do in my experience is to use Lucas fuel additive which is specifically formulated for the job of lubrication and keeping the system and injectors clean. It is available in gallons and smaller sizes in automotive and farm stores.
The old diesel oil back in the 60's, when spread on a surface, would leave an oil film. The new diesel virtually totally evaporates in a short time which tells you how much lubricating quality it now has. I will not run biodiesel because it is corrosive over time.
Regards Martin

Coldpan35

I've put clean engine oil, ATF, Lucas, howes diesel clean and several other additives in the fuel tank of my deuce. Not all at one time obviously, but I do think that adding the oil lubricates the fuel system parts and makes me happier knowing that. So really it's all up to you and what you want to put in your truck.

dmetalmiki

My mix on all my trucks (including gamma goat and tank = contam (diesel petrol mix) with filtered (to one micron) waste automatic transmission fluid.

loosescrews

Yes, the governor portion at the front of the pumps are lubricated by engine oil but the actual parts handling the fuel flow are not. The new low sulfur diesel will not properly lubricate the pump head parts and the injector parts. The best thing to do in my experience is to use Lucas fuel additive which is specifically formulated for the job of lubrication and keeping the system and injectors clean. It is available in gallons and smaller sizes in automotive and farm stores.
The old diesel oil back in the 60's, when spread on a surface, would leave an oil film. The new diesel virtually totally evaporates in a short time which tells you how much lubricating quality it now has. I will not run biodiesel because it is corrosive over time.
Regards Martin
Lucas fuel additive is straight mineral oil and decreases the lubricating effect of diesel. Lucas was good at advertising, not chemical engineering. His famous oil additive is just base stock. His stuff is garbage. There have been many threads about increasing lubricity and hands down soydiesel(biodiesel) at a 2 percent mix is better than anything on the market. Most pump diesel contains 10-20% bio in Missouri, so the adding anything other than antigel is moot here. Check locally for a place that has a mix near you. I run the 20% mix in my truck, no "corrosion" issues, no algae issues. You have to be careful with the scuttlebutt floating around about fuel additives, its infectious.

Katavic918

Be careful about adding ATF as the red dye in it is the same as the dye in off road only fuel and if the DOT dips your tank you can be in a lot of trouble. Eddy
I think you would have to add quite a bit of trans fluid to dye 50 gallons of diesel. Good point though if anyone is using a 50/50 mix or something. I added too much once and couldn't figure out why my exhaust smelled like burning tires.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it doesn't.

Biodiesel has the best lubricating qualities.
What you have to watch out for is not let biodiesel set too long in your tank without running on a regular basis. If it sets too long it will draw moisture and cause corrosion. I ask an authorized diesel shop what they thought of biodiesel after it came out and was shown an injector pump that they had trouble taking apart because of the corrosion from setting.

Wolf.Dose

Hey, guys,
years ago, when the low sulfor fuel came up, I had some problems with my injection pump on a Military K5 Blazer. So I asked the guyes of Daimler engine works and the Diesel freaks of John Deere in Mannheim as well. Both told me the same: To protect your injection pump add one hundrets of the fuel of the cheepest engine oil you can get. And that works, even with a common rail system.
If it helps, please
Wolf

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself and Hole used to run ATF, hydraulic oil...both new of course, and motor oil as primary fuel. I also used to get free dieselgas. FedEx package car drivers are responsible for fueling their trucks at some locations, so, they would accidentally fill a diesel powered truck with gas. I would get 30 gallons of 50/50 dieselgas. The only thing I ever noticed was if too much oil, it would start hard and too much gas it would hunt at idle.
A local fuel company just got in trouble putting gas/diesel mix into the tanks of 4 convenient stores. It's been all over the news with a bunch of cars with messed up fuel systems. I'm sure they will have to pump it out and dispose of it.

I'd like to get ahold of that. I don't know how much it will be but even if it's just one tank at each of the 4 stores, that's a lot of deuce fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks