• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Albino 84 CUCV

alburms311

Hello All. This is my first post, thought I would share pictures of my new to me CUCV. It had been sitting for three years, wires and such had been cut, and had a bad passenger side alt. But after a days worth of work and several hours reading through the TMs, I was able to drive it home this weekend:beer: . Several hours worth of work once I got it home, and more reading, got it running like a champ. Other than being painted white, its great. I couldn't have done it without this site as a resource!

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. Great looking truck.

Those GSA trucks have usually been hacked up. Glad you got it running.

Did you take it back to stock? Any pics of the wiring?

alburms311

Welcome to SS. Great looking truck.

Those GSA trucks have usually been hacked up. Glad you got it running.

Did you take it back to stock? Any pics of the wiring?
Thank you sir. I wired everything back according to the diagrams and what I read on this site, so it is stock 24V now. I don't have any pictures of the old wiring, wasn't much there to take pictures of but some burned and cut wires. The truck belonged to a local Fire and Rescue squad, then a family member of mine bought it several years back with intentions of fixing it up, and it ran for a while, and now it sits in my driveway. How the wiring got all fowled up is beyond me, but its good now.

forest522

Sounds like you're on the right track! Welcome, lots of good entertainment here.

The TMs are great, often confusing but great. I have found that a sixteen ounce medication helps with the understanding of the TMs. LOL

Seriously, clean all grounds, everywhere. Trace all wires, replace bulbs, clean sockets, clean fuse box and connectors...you get the point. Of course, disconnect battery first.

I have had great luck at local parts yards with replacement items. May be worth your time to visit them before spending $$$ on new parts.

Replace all rubber as you can. Whoa, big difference.

I am no expert, and my rig has its share of issues, but it seems the trick is to have fun with it (a big toy and hobby), drive it alot, and do the PCMS early and often!!

Enjoy:driver:

Yes ,Welcome to the site it can be madness.Love the m1009.My buddy just picked up m1008 an old fire truck from a local fire dept and i own a ex fire m1008. I think thats where the majority are going to start comein from.Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.TM's as you have found are your friend :]Again welcome to the site.John Aka Southern steel.:beer:

Keith_J

I'm also working on an albino M1009. It had been painted white for post security on a National Guard post.

It ran tonight, needs brakes and minor body work. Plus welding on the left seat mounting area, it is cracked and sagging through the floor. Looks like fatigue failure.

pgwaldner

Great to hear you got it running. I am in Haleyville, AL and my son is in Sumiton, AL so you are not to far away. Getting to see more CUCV's in Bama. If you need help or info let me know. Maybe we need a CUCV get together in Bama soon

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Lauging Accademy. :cookoo:

Having driven those wretched inventions of the devil while in the Army I can say that I'd rather have a sister in a cathouse than a brother in a CUCV but whatever floats your boat.

SS Member Doghead is the resident CUCV masochist here and has done some mods that will help that hybrid scrap heap stay running.

You just missed the 2012 GA Rally....the best SS event in the country bar none.

I'll be at the MVPA rally at Tannehill State Park the first weekend in Nov if you want to meet up with myself and some other good MV folks.

I'm going to get there Thursday afternoon and stay until Sat.

Come on by and I'll throw an extra possum on the grill.:wreckerman893:

alburms311

Great to hear you got it running. I am in Haleyville, AL and my son is in Sumiton, AL so you are not to far away. Getting to see more CUCV's in Bama. If you need help or info let me know. Maybe we need a CUCV get together in Bama soon
Thanks, and I may take you up on the offer for help down the road, your right, guys aren't that far away.

alburms311

Welcome to the Green Iron Lauging Accademy. :cookoo:

Having driven those wretched inventions of the devil while in the Army I can say that I'd rather have a sister in a cathouse than a brother in a CUCV but whatever floats your boat.

SS Member Doghead is the resident CUCV masochist here and has done some mods that will help that hybrid scrap heap stay running.

You just missed the 2012 GA Rally....the best SS event in the country bar none.

I'll be at the MVPA rally at Tannehill State Park the first weekend in Nov if you want to meet up with myself and some other good MV folks.

I'm going to get there Thursday afternoon and stay until Sat.

Come on by and I'll throw an extra possum on the grill.:wreckerman893:
Thanks for the invite and the possum offer, if I get a chance to go get my tag before then I may drive it up there, if not, I may just come on up in another vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks