• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison shifting problem, 3rd gear.

162tcat

I have bad luck with automatic trannys.

One of my trucks, M923, has just developed (in the last 100ish miles) a strange shifting problem. When shifting into 3rd, it will rev up like it's going to neutral then it will shift into 3rd. It doesn't seem to happen when the tranny is cold or if my foot it mashed to the floor. I was going to re-adjust the modulator cable but it didn't seem to be out of adjustment in the first place. All other gears are fine.

About 3,500 miles on truck
Fluid is dex III
Less than 1k on fluid filters.
Old filters and fluid looked good.
Operating temp hasn't changed.

Any thoughts before I take it to the allison dealer and spend a fortune?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a M925 that more or less did that, I think it was also into 3rd gear. It was like it was delayed from shifting somehow. Mine was on 10wt oil, but otherwise about the same conditions as yours. I never did fix it and it didn't seem to have any apparent negative effect on the truck. Sorry I don't have a solution for you - just that mine did it also.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am guessing you have a worn shifting valve or piston, when the oil is cold it is thicker so would not bypass as easy, when hot, the oil will be thinner and tend to bypass more so you need more volume/pressure to make up for the bypassing oil to make the shift, so the shift seems late, when you are at full throttle the trans pump is pumping enough volume/pressure to over ride the bypassing oil, hence the normal shift.

Last edited:

162tcat

That may be, does it require complete disassembly to replace?

It's strange because it just started one day with no warning.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Depends on where the valve is, if in the valve body a good chance no, but if it is in the trans it self or the piston then yes

162tcat

How do you adjust the pressure? I'm going to drop the pan and change the fluid and filters one more time. Some crud could have broke loose since the truck only has about 3,500 miles since 1985. While I'm in there, I'll give it a visual inspection and see if anything looks abnormal.

162tcat

Update

It was the "trimmer valve". If anyone else experiences the same issues, this is probably the culprit. I pulled the valve body and with the help of the Allison manual, figured it out and fixed it. Parts required were a baldwin filter kit and a trimmer valve assembly from ebay. About $170 total including fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks