• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate rims for M101A1

koolex11

So my fairly extensive search for a spare for my M101A1 has turned up fruitless. Now I am changing direction and looking for a DIFFERENT (more common) rim that will fit the M101 hub I have.

Obviously I don't much experience fixing cars, just to throw that out there. So please be patient with me, I'm trying to learn! :)

Current setup is Budd 16 X 6.5 5-lug with split ring and inner tube and a 9.00 X 16 Superlug tire. See avatar. I don't need any of this. I want to find something that I can switch out in a pinch that will get me out of the woods. Anyone have an idea of what will work? Preferably something I can find at the junk yard...

Thanks for the help!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend selling the A1 and put that money towards an A2 or A3. By the time you're done swapping axles with the additional money you could have one that's already set up for civy wheels without destroying the originality of the A1.

Last edited:

URBNFLX

I would recommend selling the A1 and put that money towards an A2 or A3. Buy the time you're done swapping axles with the additional money you could have one that's already set up for civy wheels without destroying the originality of the A1.
+1 ... I was going down the same route as you but then found a sweet deal on GL for an A2... $349 bought the A2 and the A1 should sell for 6-700 on CL. Plus you can put almost any chevy 8 lug wheel on the A2.

Attachments

Last edited:

0352Marine

koolex11 - Good luck as I have had the same problem, but I did not want to go with the axle swap because then I think it will lose some of it MV look and I am not real sure if you could integrate the parking brakes on the new axle and then you would lose the dumping ability of the trailer as well. All those looking for an alternative tubeless wheel option for your M37's and M101A1's (5 x 6 7/8 inch Lug pattern). Stazworks in Merrillan, Wisconsin will recenter a HUMVEE Wheel (Wheel size is 16.5 x 8.25) and it is a two piece with 12 or 8 bolts to hold the two pieces together. John at Stazworks [Email: johns351c@centurytel.net & Phone: 715-333-RIMS (7467)] said that the backspacing would be best if it was 6" to 7", but he may be able to do some backspacing that is close to this range. He said he will sandblast and powder coat (He said he has the Desert Tan and may be able to get other colors) the rim, put a new o-ring in it, and replace any studs or nuts that need it all for $190.00 Each (Plus Shipping). The pricing is for only two wheels as that is all I need, but he might have better pricing for 4 rims or other options to choose from. This may not be the look that some want, but it should look pretty tough with the combat rim look and will make it easier to change the tire yourself. All you would have to do is break the wheel down yourself and put a new tubeless tire on (if you were not able to plug the hole), bolt the wheel back together, and then inflate and your back on the road. There are a lot of pictures on E-Bay of these types of wheels (See attached pictures), but I am not axactly sure how these Stazworks wheels will look. I am going to ask them to send me a picture. koolex11, if you would be interested in this option, we may be able to get a better deal if we buy 4 together and have him send 2 to each of us - let me know if you are interested and I will ask John or you can, and we will see what he says.

Attachments

URBNFLX

koolex11 - Good luck as I have had the same problem, but I did not want to go with the axle swap because then I think it will lose some of it MV look and I am not real sure if you could integrate the parking brakes on the new axle and then you would lose the dumping ability of the trailer as well. All those looking for an alternative tubeless wheel option for your M37's and M101A1's (5 x 6 7/8 inch Lug pattern). Stazworks in Merrillan, Wisconsin will recenter a HUMVEE Wheel (Wheel size is 16.5 x 8.25) and it is a two piece with 12 or 8 bolts to hold the two pieces together. John at Stazworks [Email: johns351c@centurytel.net & Phone: 715-333-RIMS (7467)] said that the backspacing would be best if it was 6" to 7", but he may be able to do some backspacing that is close to this range. He said he will sandblast and powder coat (He said he has the Desert Tan and may be able to get other colors) the rim, put a new o-ring in it, and replace any studs or nuts that need it all for $190.00 Each (Plus Shipping). The pricing is for only two wheels as that is all I need, but he might have better pricing for 4 rims or other options to choose from. This may not be the look that some want, but it should look pretty tough with the combat rim look and will make it easier to change the tire yourself. All you would have to do is break the wheel down yourself and put a new tubeless tire on (if you were not able to plug the hole), bolt the wheel back together, and then inflate and your back on the road. There are a lot of pictures on E-Bay of these types of wheels (See attached pictures), but I am not axactly sure how these Stazworks wheels will look. I am going to ask them to send me a picture. koolex11, if you would be interested in this option, we may be able to get a better deal if we buy 4 together and have him send 2 to each of us - let me know if you are interested and I will ask John or you can, and we will see what he says.

Cool Idea, although it is getting increasingly tough to get 16.5" tires, he may be able to recenter another rim in a 16" or 17" size

0352Marine

koolex11 - I have attached pictures of wheels that stazworks (http://stazworks.com/index.htmcan) can make with the M37 or M101A1 5 Lug pattern on them. These are wheels that he built, so you can see the quality of the work. He does a whole lot of wheels for Rock Crawlers and 4x4's so he does know what he is doing. Taking URBNFLX's input on the 16.5 inch tires being harder to get, I have asked Stazworks if he can do a one-piece or a two-piece in the 16 inch rim and I will post the answer when I get it. Let us know if you find out any other alternatives for the M101A1 or M37 rims.

Attachments

derf

I opted to lose the hand brakes. I wanted light and functional and couldn't see keeping the heavy axle, wheels, drums, and brakes.
I don't know what custom wheels cost but they are probably more than an off the shelf axle and then you get to pick your wheel type and style. You can match wheel pattern to your tow vehicle and not have to worry about a spare for your trailer, you can use your vehicle spare temporarily.

koolex11

Well, to update, I found a guy up the road with 4 power wagons and he has a rim for me. Now I just have to find a good LT235/85/R16 (or a 900) to fit. So I'm going to some of the used tire centers to talk to the old-timers. They should be able to fit me with one. It will serve as a good utility spare. Thanks to all for the ideas, will update when I figure out a mounting bracket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks