• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator wiring m1008

oddfire

Hey all,

My 86' is givin me fits. Gen 2 light came on and I cooked the batt that supplys the 12 volts (the one in the front). I seem to be getting 24.6V out of the pass side alt and 12.1V out of the drivers alt. Any ideas? Truck is new to me and not sure if alts are wired correctly. Any body have a wiring diagram for the alts?:roll:

Thank you

Larch

I had this saved from somewhere? It may be of some help. Good luck.

From your description your GEN1 is not working. With the key on and engine not running, both idiot lights must be working for the alternators to work. They are part of the excitor circuit.

When testing the alterernator wiring on a stock system you should have the following

GEN1
large red wire - battery voltage from the front battery via the 12v terminal block
small red wire on 2plug - battery voltage from the 12v terminal block at all times
small brown wire on 2plug - battery voltage when key is in run position
large black wire - ground from engine block to alt case ****** This is probably your problem ******
small black wire w/white stripe - ground for STE/ICE diagnostic system
small brown push on wire - tach for STE/ICE diagnostic

GEN2
large red wire - 24v from both batteries via the 24v Positive terminal block
small red wire on 2plug - 24v from both batteries via the 24v Positive terminal blockat all times
small brown wire on 2plug - 24v via the GEN2 relay when key is in run position
large red wire w/white stripe - 12v feed from 12v terminal block
small orange wire - ground for STE/ICE diagnostic system
small black wire w/capacitor - removed on most trucks

The CUCVs run most of the truck off of GEN1 which is on the drivers side and the front battery. The starting system, glowplugs and the diagnostic system run on both batteries and GEN2 which is the passenger alternator and feeds the back battery.

Check and clean the 2plug connector on the alternator and replace it if necassary. Also check the black ground wire on GEN1.

Right click on thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"
Attached Thumbnails

'68 M715
'86 M101A2

Per the Technical Manuals at the start of the Troubleshooting Section
"c. When troubleshooting a malfunction, (1) Ensure that both batteries are fully charged."
From your description your GEN1 is not working. With the key on and engine not running, both idiot lights must be working for the alternators to work. They are part of the excitor circuit.

When testing the alterernator wiring on a stock system you should have the following

GEN1
large red wire - battery voltage from the front battery via the 12v terminal block
small red wire on 2plug - battery voltage from the 12v terminal block at all times
small brown wire on 2plug - battery voltage when key is in run position
large black wire - ground from engine block to alt case ****** This is probably your problem ******
small black wire w/white stripe - ground for STE/ICE diagnostic system
small brown push on wire - tach for STE/ICE diagnostic

GEN2
large red wire - 24v from both batteries via the 24v Positive terminal block
small red wire on 2plug - 24v from both batteries via the 24v Positive terminal blockat all times
small brown wire on 2plug - 24v via the GEN2 relay when key is in run position
large red wire w/white stripe - 12v feed from 12v terminal block
small orange wire - ground for STE/ICE diagnostic system
small black wire w/capacitor - removed on most trucks

The CUCVs run most of the truck off of GEN1 which is on the drivers side and the front battery. The starting system, glowplugs and the diagnostic system run on both batteries and GEN2 which is the passenger alternator and feeds the back battery.

Check and clean the 2plug connector on the alternator and replace it if necassary. Also check the black ground wire on GEN1.

Right click on thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"
Attached Thumbnails

'68 M715
'86 M101A2

Per the Technical Manuals at the start of the Troubleshooting Section
"c. When troubleshooting a malfunction, (1) Ensure that both batteries are fully charged."

oddfire

Thanks guys. Still fightin it. It also had fried the diode trio in alt 2. Internals in alt 1 visualy look good, but have not had time to get the meter out and test. Where is the "best" place to get rebuild kits for the 27si alts?

Thank you

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, is there a wiring diagram for the back of both alts?????:beer:
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

You should have looked at AMPHI's post above. He had a link to a resent post from me showing the diagrams.

This has been covered many. many times. If you do an advanced search and look for posts from Warthog containing the word "Alternator" you will find a bunch of them.

Here are the wiring diagrams again and a source for parts. I have used them and I am happy with the service.

High Output Alternators - Alternator & Starter Repair Kits - Alternator Parts - Delco 27Si Type100 Heavy Duty Rebuild Kit

Attachments

Last edited:

chuckstephen

I need some information on how to test the alternators on a 1985 M1008 . Gen 2 alternator light is being displayed on the dash . Just replaced alternators and batteries .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced them with what?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks