• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum vs. Steel MRAP

Bo1

I will be looking to single out one of my Deuces, and have been searching for pros and cons for the aluminum and steel MRAP rims before trying to find some to buy. So far, I have found tons of information on all of the different style rims that you can put on the Deuce, but none relating to aluminum versus steel wheels.
Please forgive me if I have overlooked a thread covering this specifically. Looking for opinions on the differences.
Thanks,
Bo

peashooter

I like the thought of aluminum wheels better and would pick them myself if I had the choice when I got mine (I have the 12 bolt steel ones). It seems like the first couple years all the MRAP wheels selling at GL auctions were of the steel variety, but the last year or so its been mainly Aluminum ones selling.
I think the 2 most common aluminum MRAP wheels I'm aware of are the "20 bolt" ones and the "24 Bolt" ones. I don't know of people having any trouble with them except when they want to run them "Dish side out" because then you aren't able to get access to the valve stems. LINO and other members with those wheels have used valve adapters or tapped a new hole in the rim for another valve stem to solve the problem. I've also talked to quite a few people that have accidentally broken off the valve stems from the aluminum mrap wheels also since they protrude from the face of the rim. Its not difficult to replace them but I'm not sure you can find the valve stem in stock at an auto parts store either.
Aluminum wont rust, but it will corrode so you can get leaks in either wheel if corrosion starts around the tire bead or other sealing area.

Ultimately I'd get whatever you want or have easier access to. Just keep an eye out for the rims that KE5EUA mentioned above, they wont fit. You want ones with a big 11" hole in the center, nothing smaller.

Bo1

I was thinking that the lighter rims would be better. I don't plan on doing any serious mudding, or rock climbing, or anything like that. If nothing else, might make the tires and rims a little lighter to work with.
Bo

Hainebd

I am using steel. Cost was my deciding factor. Won 20 out in Ohio. In my mind they are great. Very heavy at 204 pounds each without the tire. The valve stem is an issue. I got lucky at my local tire shop who had some obsolete stems that fit perfect. The do protrude about 1/4 inch from the face. Even with that I have not moved the stem driving off-road even in axle deep ruts.

One we thing to look for is the valve stem hole in the rim. Get ones with the 1/2 or 5/8 inch hole. That way you can find stems that will work. The larger holes require adapters or CTIS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks