• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amistad NRA San Antonio to Tucson

ODw/envy

It is almost time to pick the new truck up. I'll be leaving Sunday and picking up Monday. Hopefully, we will be on the road Monday night. If things go as planned I was hoping to camp at Lake Amistad National Recreation Area. Has anyone been there or taken US-90 from San Antonio to Van Horn?

It will add 40 miles or so to the over all mileage and probably an hour travel time. My hope is that the drive will be more fun and more safe than I-10. I will be dragging the F250 with a medium tow-bar (yes, with lights).

My Dad has decided to fly into SA from GA and ride with me. I don't get to see the old man much with the 3 time zone difference and I would like to make a hard trip as much fun as possible. One advantage is that we will have a large self propelled tent (M35A2) to sleep in.

Before you ask, yes, if money were no object I would go get the truck myself and camp in the middle of nowhere, as apposed to ship it or stay in a hotel.

I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Ryan

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
US 90 is much more hilly than I-10. It is 2 lane. But much more scenic. Not too much 18 wheeler traffic. Lake Amistad is a nice area. Out there, you will see old military trucks in every little town. Enjoy and bring the camera!

ODw/envy

No worries. I'm taken the camera. I plan on taken my time through there so hills won't bother me. You read my mind though. I have a lot of respect commercial trucks but I am not hot on the idea of they and 20 somethings running up on me at 70-80 mph, when I can only do 48 ish! It's hard to avoid in the cities though.

Scenic sounds great. May stave off the white line fever.

davidkroberts

might want to get one of the noise canceling headphones with the radio built in. The constant whine of the engine gets monotonous a few tunes makes the going a bit easier. The cab is really loud.

The drivers seat sits you straight up and down and it will hurt your back on long trips. a small pillow in the small of the back helps.

bring extra fuel filters...... ask me how i know:roll:

If it rains the window seals leak like crazy. A roll of duct tape along the inside edge all around can keep you dry.... well drier anyway. If you use the good gorrilla tape it works better. Im sure south texas is warm enough this time of year but the metal floor sucks all the heat out of you.

Good luck..... if you have any mechanical issues call me at 731-234-5135. If nothing else i can post your situation on the forum and get someone closer to help. Ive done long deuce trips before they arent that bad dont overrev the engine. I keep mine around 2250 rpm maximum and I run a good bit of Lucas Oil. Its probably just a lucky charm but the one time i didnt add it I had problems.

I wasnt sure how much mil vehicle experience i had so i just told everything i knew that might help.

ODw/envy

I hear you. I had done a test drive on one for sale locally. Yes, very loud.

I have a Bose ANC head set from when I was flying helicopters. I may take those and the Ipod to ease the pain.

I am going to do the full service on the truck and yes Lucas is already in the case to go.

I appreciate the info. I will throw the Gorilla tape in the tool box too. Great stuff.

Thanks,
Ryan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks