• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ammeter frequency and voltage gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimc

so it seems like these are always needed. brand new ones are extremely expensive. even used ones are a bit pricy for a 20-30 year old gauge that may or may not work. there are other gauges out there but then they dont match your panel or drop in. i have been working on actual digital drop in replacements with the original a&m styling. these are still about 2-2.5 weeks from being available but wanted to give you guys a couple pics of an early prototype. i havent finalized pricing with the vendors of some of the components mainly the laser cut lenses but i am shooting for right around $45 per gauge shipped to your door.

IMG_2420.JPGIMG_2422.JPG

Isaac-1

Looking good, one problem I have found with some of the cheaper digital gauges is they tend to have dim displays, so I thought I would ask, is the digital display bright enough to see in full daylight?

Ike

3dAngus

Or bright enough to see in full darkness?

Or bright enough to see with the sunlight hitting the face of it.

Jimc

These are pretty darn bright. They light up in a bright blue. Its a pretty crappy day here today so no sun but next nice day i will try and get some pics.

3dAngus

If the numbers are bright blue, they should be seen in any kind of condition. I thought they might be liquid crystal (black) which means they might be hard to see under certain lighting conditions. Glad to know they are the newer technologies. Please keep us informed of any new developments.

Is this the one that is going to be an all in one, selectable for frequency, amps or voltage? Or would that be three different meters?

Jimc

Angus, i was trying to keep everything setup like the original so each hole in the panel has the same gauge that came out of it. I can do a combo voltage/ammeter as well but then was thinking what the heck are you going to do with the other hole in the panel. Could do a dc voltage meter as well to take over the batt gauge. Decisions i guess. Ill need to do a little digging to see what else is avail in the same style.

3dAngus

I was just inquisitive. Not making and suggestions. I would be interested in anything you come up with. Thanks.

Isaac-1

Since it seems most people use their MEP-002a /003a generators in 120/240V single phase mode, a pair of amp / volt meters operating in amp mode could be nice for load balancing between the two legs at once.

Ike

3dAngus

The load, in most cases, is going to be determined by house or shop wiring, which is fixed.
Doubtful many people will be using these gen sets in a tactical situation like the military where they can shift the load.Even so, it would be nice but who wants to pay another $50 for something you have little control of, if any.

Triple Jim

Actually I've moved one or two loads in the house from one side of the line to the other to help balance things because I saw my two meters reading very different currents. I understand that some panels are maxed out and it would be harder to swap things around, however.

Isaac-1

The larger the generator the harder it is balance the small line to neutral 120v connections by moving them from one side to the other, but on a 5KW MEP-002a where a single appliance can amount to 1/4 of its total rated output, it might be as simple as plugging the hair dryer, toaster oven, or coffee pot into a different outlet than normal.

Ike

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they waterproof?

I bought one of the Hardy Diesel frequency meters and was going to do a installation like you did but it didn't look waterproof so I haven't installed it.

Be sure to post these up in the classifieds when you have some to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks