• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammo can cb

wilfreeman

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about mounting a small cb (about 5" wide, 2" thick and 7" long) in a .50 cal ammo can. BUT - I want it self contained (except for the antenna), which got me thinking about mounting a lawnmower battery in there to power it. I haven't bought anything yet - just considering this as a possibility. I was going to buy a handheld cb, but kindof talked myself out of that - I want more range.
So, I guess my only queston is how long do you think the small battery would last mainly for receiving (the battery could be recharged at night), and is a 50 cal can big enough?
I will go out and measure my can and battery tomorrow and start working on a plan.

Flyingvan911

See how many amps the cb draws when transmitting then decide how long you want the battery to last. Research batteries with the capacity you need in the physical size you want. You might need a bigger ammo can. I would measure several so you know what your options are.

I am planning to use a 50 cal can to mount my ham radio and antenna tuner in for easy removal and switching between the van and my deuce.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep the battery separate! All batteries create fumes that corrode electronic parts, some just do it slower than others. Even 'sealed' batteries leak at inopportune times.2cents

wilfreeman

I'm considering 2 radios (both are real basic models and about the same size and specs, around $40) - a Cobra which specs say is .9A RX and 1.4A TX, and a Uniden which says max 1.7A draw both RX and TX.

After looking at the size of lawnmower batteries and atv/motorcycle batteries online (I am being lazy today, so far - it's rainy outside), maybe going with the atv battery might be the way to go. It should fit in a 50 cal can, but will it last for an 8 hour day? One ATV battery I am looking at (Walmart) says 7Ah @ 10hr rate - does that mean (under perfect conditions) - that it could supply 7A/hr for 10hrs?

I haven't forgotten Mike - corrosion. I'm thinking I could divide the can and vent the battery side (mine wouldn't need to be air tight). Atv batteries have a vent/overflow tube on them, and I could drill some vent holes.

goldneagle

If you add a plug on the side of the box for a electrical connection, then you can charge it up without removing the battery.2cents

wilfreeman

Yep - I've already got one of those small 2A chargers with the permanent quick connect to use for that (been looking for a use for that thing!). Where can you buy (without ordering) an antenna plug to mount in the case. I went to Radio Shack yesterday - didn't have much to choose from in the cb market.

Two of my buddies have built self contained stereo/speaker systems from small coolers. We use one of them at the beach and it will blast music all day long from its motorcycle battery. You might try to google "speaker cooler" and see what people have done. The same principles will apply but you should get even better battery life with just a CB. I would try to keep the units self contained (battery and CB together) because it makes for a cleaner design. Besides, if you ever do need to replace the CB due to battery fumes corroding electronic parts, you will only be out like $40-50 since the CB's you described are the compact (not high dollar) style. 2cents

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Heres what I came up with. I went ahead and jumped on a Midland 1001z compact - all of them are about the same size. I bought the magnet base, 3', spring base antenna. I robbed my daughter's Hot Wheels FJ40 battery powered jeep for a battery. It's been running on RX for about 3hrs now.

The battery is a perfect size for a 1140rnd 5.56 can (about 3" tall x 5" wide). Problem is, as Flyingvan911 said, I will have to have a bigger (taller) box. The radio (and all of the compacts at the truck stop) were 7" long. Add to that the antenna plug, and you need 9"diagonal (or vertical). You could reduce that if you use an elbow antenna connector.

So, are there deeper ammo boxes (would like to stay about the same size as my current box, just deeper), WITHOUT going to the 20mm(?) size box?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made one a while back. if your at the GA rally come see it it will be in my jeep. Keep the battery pack separate. mine will run on a battery or plug in the lighter plug.
That's a slick setup Tigger! Waterproof and tactical, gotta make something like that for next field day....

wilfreeman

Heres what I came up with. I went ahead and jumped on a Midland 1001z compact - all of them are about the same size. I bought the magnet base, 3', spring base antenna. I robbed my daughter's Hot Wheels FJ40 battery powered jeep for a battery. It's been running on RX for about 3hrs now.

The battery is a perfect size for a 1140rnd 5.56 can (about 3" tall x 5" wide). Problem is, as Flyingvan911 said, I will have to have a bigger (taller) box. The radio (and all of the compacts at the truck stop) were 7" long. Add to that the antenna plug, and you need 9"diagonal (or vertical). You could reduce that if you use an elbow antenna connector.

So, are there deeper ammo boxes (would like to stay about the same size as my current box, just deeper), WITHOUT going to the 20mm(?) size box?

I like the cooler idea, but was looking for the military look.

Tigger, I'll drop by and check out your setup in GA.

I like the cooler idea, but was looking for the military look.
I wasn't suggesting for you to use a cooler. I was just saying that many people have built those and you might get some idea about what size battery to use based off of those builds. In case anybody isn't familiar with what I am talking about, some pictures are attached.

Attachments

wilfreeman

Now that's what I need for my 4 wheeler - as long as it has a seperate compartment for my beer! I gotcha - I appreciate the info! I'll look them up tonight - it's kind of hard to do it on a phone. I would like to build something with a radio and cb in it - that would be pretty cool - tunes and commo!

steelandcanvas

Where can you buy (without ordering) an antenna plug to mount in the case. I went to Radio Shack yesterday - didn't have much to choose from in the cb market.
Truck stops close to the Interstate usually have a nice selection of CB parts and pieces. Radio Shack doesn't have squat for the radio enthusiast any more. Good luck on your project!

wilfreeman

Yeah, ours did - and the prices were inline with ebay prices too - I might go back and look for the adapter. My wife and I are getting ready to go to a big Army/Navy store, so maybe I can find a bigger ammo can there.

Danger Ranger

I use bestbuy, amazon, or walmart for my cb stuff. Amazon is awesome, and the prices are pretty good. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't like them...

RadioShack is crap anymore...consider yourself lucky if you find one with a cb antenna tucked in a corner. Theisen's has a pretty good selection on stuff too, but you can't beat a truck stop.

Tigger- thats awesome.

OP- why not run it off a 12v quick plug. Then removal is easy, and you will always have power. You're not gonna walk around with it are you? I would buy the handheld for that....

DO NOT buy from a CB store if you can help it. They are way more expensive than anyone else.

eagle4g63

If you still want an ammo can..........I'm trying to remember..........there was a "Fat 50" or "Tall 50" again trying to remember which it was...........I have one some where..........I'll try to find it and get you measurements, if you don't find out sooner.

wilfreeman

Sounds like the "Tall 50" is what I'm looking for. The Army/Navy store we just came from was more of a PX - nothing but current issue stuff, a tailor shop and a barber shop. No surplus at all. I guess I'll keep looking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks