• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 700r4, plus a turbo addition

Iceman3005

Turbo 400 transmission cracked due to faulty trans bushing mounts. So going to install a 700r4 overdrive trans, and add a turbo to the 6.2L diesel. Also the inner fender and battery tray are very rusty, so I am going to replace those as well.

Attachments

Iceman3005

Got the manifold on, that was a pain in the butt! Had to jack up the motor, still wasn't much room to work with. Going to try and put the turbo down pipe between the engine and frame rail. I see a lot of people ran the exhaust on the outside of frame rail, but I don't want to have to do that if I can avoid it.

Attachments

rsh4364

Thanks,I like your posts and like the fact you are very familiar with the cucvs and willing to work on them fairly.When I get ready to regear my 1009 and go 700r4 you will be who I call.I recently stopped at two local shops looking to get estimates on regearing my 1009 and both shops said they would call me and neither did?

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Thanks,I like your posts and like the fact you are very familiar with the cucvs and willing to work on them fairly.When I get ready to regear my 1009 and go 700r4 you will be who I call.I recently stopped at two local shops looking to get estimates on regearing my 1009 and both shops said they would call me and neither did?
Yes I can do the 700r4 swap for you. Cost depends on a lot of factors as far as parts are concerned. I highly recommend a new torque converter when doing the swap, other than that all the other parts can be used. Swaps cost right around $1500-1800 give or take, depending on how much the used parts go for. The torque converter is $450 and is rated up to 450 hp, so if you ever add a turbo than you wont have to worry about the torque converter failing. You will also get a new tv-cable. As for the tv cable bracket and rod I suggest we try to find one of ebay or some other source. If I have to make one they cost around $200, it will cost less to find a used one. You will also have torque converter lock-up in overdrive, this is done automatically without any need to flip switches, etc. There will also be a switched installed so you can lock-up torque converter in 2nd and 3rd gears when you are towing. This helps keep the trans cooler, and puts more torque to the wheels.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A question if I may. Rebuilders here want $100 more for a rebuild of a 4x4 tranny. Is there more work or more expensive parts or just a way to gouge the off road crowd?

Iceman3005

There are only 2 differences between a 2 and 4 wheel drive trans. The 2 wheel drive trans has a tail shaft bolted to the back of it, and a longer output shaft. Those are the only differences. If there pulling trans and transfer case, then yes I could see the additional charge for labor. If your pulling trans and taking it to them, then there gouging you. I charge same price for either. My price is based on the master rebuild kit, plus any extras for broken parts, or upgrades.

Iceman3005

Did you make the turbo hat for intake?
Partially, I made the drawing and bought the material. Had a welding shop down the road from me do the welds, I wanted the welds to be professional. Not that I can't weld, but all I have is an arc welder and I taught myself how to weld. So sometimes the welds don't look good.

Iceman3005

Project is finally going again!! While working on the turbo I noticed the passenger side brake line leaking.............grrr. So I decided to order pre-bent stainless steel lines!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are only 2 differences between a 2 and 4 wheel drive trans. The 2 wheel drive trans has a tail shaft bolted to the back of it, and a longer output shaft. Those are the only differences. If there pulling trans and transfer case, then yes I could see the additional charge for labor. If your pulling trans and taking it to them, then there gouging you. I charge same price for either. My price is based on the master rebuild kit, plus any extras for broken parts, or upgrades.
4wd transmissions also have a "K" cast into them around the bellhousing. I know at least on the ones I've seen, the housings were thicker.

But to the original question, yes, $100 is just a gouge. (Unless they're pulling the trans)

Iceman3005

Haven't got to the exhaust yet, just installed the transmission today. I wanted the trans and transfer case installed so I could see exactly how to route the exhaust. Have a few odds and ends to finish up, install the fender and battery tray, then finish the turbo oil drain, and lastly the exhaust.

NVRENUFF

Haven't got to the exhaust yet, just installed the transmission today. I wanted the trans and transfer case installed so I could see exactly how to route the exhaust. Have a few odds and ends to finish up, install the fender and battery tray, then finish the turbo oil drain, and lastly the exhaust.
What is the ratio of 4th gear on the 700R4? Is it worth swapping in to drop cruising rpm down?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks