• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Newbie to the HMMWV world

BananaRay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,
I am Ray from Louisville, KY. I purchased a M1123 Ambulance body with a box on the back in September from Gov Planet. I figure if I am lucky, I will have it by the New Year. I have been reading quite a number of the postings on here and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here for us rookies. Thanks for sharing. Happy Veteran's Day and thanks for your service.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello All,
I am Ray from Louisville, KY. I purchased a M1123 Ambulance body with a box on the back in September from Gov Planet. I figure if I am lucky, I will have it by the New Year. I have been reading quite a number of the postings on here and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here for us rookies. Thanks for sharing. Happy Veteran's Day and thanks for your service.
Welcome to the Outfit!

You might be a little optimistic on getting your truck by the New Year, but stranger things have happened. Remember, the government will slow down and vacations will be in a "used it or lose it" situation.

Since you joined up, gather up some Technical Manuals (TMs) for your truck. That will give you time to get familiar with oil and filters that you should be prepared to change when your new-to-you truck arrives. Knowing what some of the parts are called in the books will make you sound smarter when you start asking questions. There are troubleshooting flow charts that will help you fix things as you find them. Knowing what that "wait" light on the dash is all about since the weather will be colder - and knowing that you need to listen for the clicks and watch the volt meter while you are getting ready to start up will make what is happening make sense...

CONGRATULATIONS on your new arrival and be sure to post up some pictures when you can!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion would be. Do all your maintenance and fluid changes and drive it awhile and make sure it’s sound before making modifications. You make mods before it’s proven you don’t know if the problem came from the mod or was an issue before. I’m still doing maintenance and working thru stuff. I’m wanting to mod but not before I get it 100%.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or... Do all your maintenance and fluid changes and enjoy it in it's stock form. To each his own!

Guy
I love stock and that’s how I wanted mine to be but after some use I’m starting to see that I need a phone charger and a few other things to make it more useable. Reverse lights and license plate light is the bare minimum for me. Don’t care about radio, stereo or whatever they are being called nowadays

papakb

Hello Ray and welcome. I've been running an M996A1 ambulance for about 20 years now and love it every time I take it out. Right now It's configured as a camper and I have one of the small field desks in it that I use as a kitchen box to keep everything neat. Chez lounge pads work well as sleeping pads. Mine is fully equipped with military radios because that's what I do but in todays world I think I'd just add a nice bluetooth speaker and use my cellphone as the music source. Simple and doesn't require any modifications to the truck.

Once you get yours spend a lot of time on it, in it, and under it. Look at everything. Shake stuff and see if it wiggles or rattles. Read the TMs. 99% of what you might need to work on is documented there along with how to fix it or change it out. Most of all, have fun with it. It's like a wife in that it will eat up way too much of your time and money but what the heck, you only live once!

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hola neighbor. Congrats... Show us the rig when you get a chance.. We love them pictures over a thousand words anyday.. TMs are your friend. And they will pass the time till you get your vehicle released.. Id say Feb 13th...Any takers on the over/under ??

JetbikeAnt

But that is a Hummer in the middle of the sticker....mirrors and turn signals and brushguard
It's an H1 Action! That would still be a HMMWV, not a Hummer. I also saw a sticker calling out the Jeep community. I don't have a picture, but it said "HMMWV, like a Jeep, but for Men" LOL When I sold my M988 I had that slogan at the bottom of my sales sheet. I pointed it out to a young Guy driving a Jeep who stopped buy to look at it. Obviously he did not buy it! roflJust having some fun my good man!

Hummer Guy

Hello All,
I got one too as well with that body, can't wait to get this thing ready after I do the maintenance 9d43638a-832a-49f4-a002-c28620dc8b95 (2).jpg

BananaRay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one too as well with that body, can't wait to get this thing ready after I do the maintenance View attachment 851420
I'm planning on using mine as a camper once I go through it. Even the wife is looking forward to it. Now I just have to locate a hard top for the cab or fabricate one when Santa delivers it. Money pit version 2.0 here we go. Congrats on your purchase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks