• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna Mounting

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huge thanks to rcamacho for helping me into an M1165. :beer:

I want to move the CIED antenna from the M1009 over to the vee, but I clearly don't have the proper bracket. There's too much body flex with the antenna even without the riser.

I'm not having much luck finding photos of this antenna mounted, so figuring out the correct base bracket has been a fail so far.

Yeah, low priority given the other things it needs, but I try to time the projects for the time and supplies I have on hand. Fluids are top priority and I'll be gathering supplies this week for the weekend, but I want to try sourcing the bracket as that might take some time.

And a top....

Antenna.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I need one of those.

I understand there's a backing plate to reinforce the body and I'm working on getting one. The light-duty mount I have now is not going to support the CIED antenna though.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have the backing plates you could make them up or just use some fender washers to reinforce the mounts.

Mark

rear hmmwv.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are heavy duty Harris stainless steel mounts being offered on Ebay that were meant for larger antennas like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352581687754?hash=item52178199ca:g:EpEAAOSw~RFa-1Jy

Even though the antennas look cool, what are you planning on using it for? These antennas were designed to operate up in the cell phone bands and there's nobody operating military radios up there.
It's been converted to a no-ground-plane dual band ham radio antenna, and works very well on the CUCV now.

I saw that ebay ad, but didn't understand how they plan to ship - other than overnight, something that size and weight is going to cost between $15 and $20 shipping.

mutt1966

It's been converted to a no-ground-plane dual band ham radio antenna, and works very well on the CUCV now.

I saw that ebay ad, but didn't understand how they plan to ship - other than overnight, something that size and weight is going to cost between $15 and $20 shipping.
Would it be possible for you to post the process of doing that conversion to a duel band antenna.... 73 Scott

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an extra offset mount that looks like it would be a lot more sturdy than that. Don't know if it is the correct mount or not. I'll have to check but I think I have the base mount and the offset mount if that is what you need.

Here is what it looks like...

That is a very interesting way to use the mount. It typically has the plate on the side fender and the mount to the rear and the offset to the right or left on top of the mount.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huge thanks to rcamacho for helping me into an M1165. :beer:

I want to move the CIED antenna from the M1009 over to the vee, but I clearly don't have the proper bracket. There's too much body flex with the antenna even without the riser.

I'm not having much luck finding photos of this antenna mounted, so figuring out the correct base bracket has been a fail so far.

Yeah, low priority given the other things it needs, but I try to time the projects for the time and supplies I have on hand. Fluids are top priority and I'll be gathering supplies this week for the weekend, but I want to try sourcing the bracket as that might take some time.

And a top....

View attachment 869755
The riser pictured in the bed is typically on slant backs.

There is also rear fender top mounted antenna towers if you want it higher. I have seen the rear bed cover modified with 4 bolt holes and the center cut out to use the antenna tower with the cover on. I have driver's side antenna towers if interested send pm.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I need one of those.

I understand there's a backing plate to reinforce the body and I'm working on getting one. The light-duty mount I have now is not going to support the CIED antenna though.
The plate is a simple affair and can be easily made with some aluminum or steel scarps and drill the holes through. The OE is roughly 5 x 3 with a cut out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very interesting way to use the mount. It typically has the plate on the side fender and the mount to the rear and the offset to the right or left on top of the mount.
It is, you are looking at the side of the truck.

springer1981

I'm not sure what you mean. That is the plate on the side of the fender, the mount is to the rear and the offset is to the right on top of the mount.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks