• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any tips on buying a Stewart & Stevenson M1078 is there a link and if so sorry I am looking

coachgeo

what's the best year if any
motor --- year I guess

Has anyone swapped a Cummins into one ?
the civilian version came with a cummins 5.9

best model/yrs... as you can guess this has been asked numerous times but it is hard to search in here

best... newest you can get if your not a massive motorhead who does not like electronics. Newer has C7 CAT engine.

Reworked LMTV

The 3116, 3126 and C7 are similar in design, bar electronics. Any of them are fine. They all share the drawbacks of dry cylinders. This limits max HP and torque and ease of rebuild. Some mechanics call these engines "disposable".

If you want to swap to be the king of the hill, drop a IH DT570 in and you will likely test the limits of the drivetrain design. It has wet sleeves gobs of hp and torque available. The 570 shares the same block size with the DT466, I believe, which is a legendary platform. It will fit with some work.

Honestly though, any of the standard CAT engines will get your job done. If you need more engine, you may need a bigger truck.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would stay away from computer control other than that they are all great.
I have had 1078,1088 and my current truck is 1089

roxxx

The 3116, 3126 and C7 are similar in design, bar electronics. Any of them are fine. They all share the drawbacks of dry cylinders. This limits max HP and torque and ease of rebuild. Some mechanics call these engines "disposable".

If you want to swap to be the king of the hill, drop a IH DT570 in and you will likely test the limits of the drivetrain design. It has wet sleeves gobs of hp and torque available. The 570 shares the same block size with the DT466, I believe, which is a legendary platform. It will fit with some work.

Honestly though, any of the standard CAT engines will get your job done. If you need more engine, you may need a bigger truck.
good to know and appreciate the comments the CAT just scare me due to the high cost As for the DT 466 know there are a lot out there
we have them in our Natural gas gensets they seem to have issues with the main seals .... that may be the sitting for long periods tho .

will have to look into the DT570

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good to know and appreciate the comments the CAT just scare me due to the high cost As for the DT 466 know there are a lot out there
we have them in our Natural gas gensets they seem to have issues with the main seals .... that may be the sitting for long periods tho .

will have to look into the DT570
Cat's are expensive if you buy new or direct from a dealer, but they are an extremely reliable engine and are pretty cheap to replace if you blow one up. We stock pretty much the entire line of FMTV's (1078's, 1079's, 1083's, 1084's, 1088's, 1089's etc) and keep most parts in stock including complete running take-out engines. We sell complete engines with less than 10k miles for $3,000. www.fmtvsales.com

roxxx

Cat's are expensive if you buy new or direct from a dealer, but they are an extremely reliable engine and are pretty cheap to replace if you blow one up. We stock pretty much the entire line of FMTV's (1078's, 1079's, 1083's, 1084's, 1088's, 1089's etc) and keep most parts in stock including complete running take-out engines. We sell complete engines with less than 10k miles for $3,000. www.fmtvsales.com
Well that is good to know to thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks