• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any weight rating problems with bobbed 5T?

350TacoZilla

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what would happen if you get pulled over hauling something in bed of a bobbed 5 ton, they look at data plate and it shows 3 axles where you have 2 what do you think they would do about the weight ratings? Also where does the gov get 31600 total weight when loaded? If you add the unloaded weights up it equals the total weight if you add the loaded's up it comes up 10K over. I do not plan to haul 10K in the bed of truck but just wondering if that data plate showing a 6x6 truck is going to cause problems. I remember seeing someone had made a "bobbed" data plate for the deuce crowd, maybe I should do something similar?

47524607.jpg

350TacoZilla

right... but add up the unloaded weights once

Payload 0
front axle 9880
inter axle 5860
rear axle 5860 and you get the unloaded weight of 21600 add up the loaded weights including the payload weight and it comes up 10K over I know thats not how it works I'm just saying the way they have it on the plate it looks like you would add it all up to 41600 not the 31600.

main point is still is the extra axle missing going to cause headaches for loaded and towing legality

erixun

According to the "MAINTENANCE OF M939 SERIES VEHICLES - OD1661 - LESSON 1/TASK1 CHARACTERISTICS, OPERATION, AND MAINTENANCE PROBLEMS COMMONTO THE M939 5 TON TRUCK"

It states:
"The M923 and M925 drop side cargo trucks are used to transport payloads of up to 20,000 pounds on the highway and 10,000 pounds cross-country. Fully loaded, each will tow an additional trailer load of up to 30,000 pounds on the highway and 15,000 pounds cross-country. The 5 ton load limit rating of M939 series vehicles does not mean these vehicles are limited to 5 ton payloads. A vehicle rating only indicates the maximum amount of cargo weight the vehicle axles and frame can withstand when operating under the worst cross-country conditions. Under good conditions such as an improved highway, these trucks can safely carry payloads up to two times the rated payload."

Thats why the data plate reads 41600 not 31600. It gives the "on highway" rating, not the cross country.

And I would imagine if the law enforcement officer is concerned enough to look at your data plate and also weigh your load, I would think that you would have to pay for some new engineering weight load capacity rating out of your own pocket to show what it could safely haul within DOT standards... but this is just a guess... I have no clue as I have not bobbed anything and then had it inspected.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If I stoped you, I would give a ticket for inproper reg. if I was looking at a 2 axle bobber and the reg. showed a 3 axle 5t truck.

bearboley

If I stoped you, I would give a ticket for inproper reg. if I was looking at a 2 axle bobber and the reg. showed a 3 axle 5t truck.
Yes this is correct. I have seen this with a dump truck that had two drop axles installed and registration was never changed. Driver received a ticket for it.

Blendmaster2002

My 2cents, there is a few sources to have New Data Plates Made there are some threads on SS about it, Even custom ones can be made, So I would simply have a new Data plate or plates made showing one axle and I would probably get the truck wieghed reduce the empty and GVW accordingly.

See post #106 in this thread for a completed custom plate for a bobbed truck as an example. New Data Plate Source:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?92086-New-Data-Plate-Source&referrerid=19939

Last edited:

350TacoZilla

ty for reply guys I will actually be getting truck registered as a pickup after bob is completed so there shouldnt be any registration issues with number of axles listed on reg. I had also seen where a guy trimmed his original data plate down to where it was only the vin half but it still says 6x6 at top, I didnt think cops will give me hard time as truck is not going to be used for commercial use but you know how it is if the vehicle stands out and looks like it has some weight in bed.

SLOrazorsedge

The commercial LEO will disregard the data plate. Weight violations are determined by tire rating and/or axle weights. I wont confuse you by throwing in a "bridge" weight (measurements between axle sets). You wont be able to load enough in a bobbed 5-ton to max tire weight restrictions so it will come down to axle loaded weights. In CA the steering axle is permitted 12,500 pds and drive axle 20,000 pds. Double drive axles are permitted 32,500 pds. So a bobbed 5-ton max gvw would be 32,500 pds and an unmodified 5-ton would be 45,000 pds. Your state will have similar vehicle code provisions. Every state in union due to federal regs will have similar reciprocity regs for interstate commerce. Ive provided a very basic explanation which you should check your states VC on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks