• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody ever use Royal Purple gear oil??

ltcboy

Have newly rebuilt differentials and I was told Royal Purple is decent gear lube. Any of you guys use it in your MUTT? Also, engine is also newly rebuilt--do I use synthetic or regular motor oil?

MIke

acetomatoco

As I am a old guy, I recommend you stick with the old tried and true stuff ...the new stuff may not let your stuff break in properly...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on Aces reply. A synthetic oil isn't good for a new engine. What if you develop a leak when you are out and about? Shouldn't mix the two.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Most synthetic lube manufacturers will admit that you should break an engine in on dino oil before switching to synthetic. I would give it about 10k miles or 4 oil changes before switching the engine over. I would break the diffs in with dino too.

1948wagon

I've used Royal Purple for years and the only thing I've ever done is use a break-in oil for the first 500 miles, then drain it and refill with Royal Purple. On transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials, I always start out with this oil and have never had any problems. We recently torn down our 1986 Ford diesel 4X4 1-ton with 355,000 miles and all components were in great shape. My transmission rebuilder said that the trans., and transfer case didn't need to be rebuilt but we did it just because. We didn't rebuild the differentials because there wasn't any significant wear. The engine was also in good shape, but rebuilt it just because of the high mileage. Over the years I've had dozons of military vehicles and always use Royal Purple. On gas engines we change it at 5,000 miles and on the diesels we change at 10,000 miles.

acetomatoco

Of course, the correct answer is for the end user to use whatever he wants.. No one can be faulted for wanting to use the new stuff or the old stuff...or anything inbetween... Most MV are only driven a few miles a year and differences in performance are not to be known for many years.. The 300000 mile 20 year old civvy truck is a good testimonial for the owner...and his knowledge and ability...most of us will never encounter such tenacity... I am at the other end of the curve, and happy with my approach of always using the cheapest fuel I can find and the cheapest oil...from KMart or whatever, or yard sales... but I do manage to change the engine oil every 5000 miles or so and never touch trannys or xfers until I have a problem...even it there is a leak, I add a quart of GO every once in a while for $1.50 or so....never been stranded or had a catastrophic failure on the road. But who knows, maybe today or tomorrow.. Keep em rolling and RYFM.... read your factory manuals...sometimes they are entertaining.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks