• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody know a source for M105 cover vinyl material?

oddshot

Does anybody know a source for the vinyl material used to make the covers for M105 trailers? I'd like to find the same material if I could and in the same solid green color.

I planning a camper project and I would like to avoid cutting up a good cover or even a ripped one that somebody else could use.

Thanks

oddshot

I almost gave up looking ... I think I *might* have found something:

http://www.ahh.biz/vinyl/vinyl_military_tent_with_ir_blocking.php

If you end up at their home page select vinyl in the block on the left, then select "military tent material".

Their information states, "This is the "Real Deal", this is the actual fabric used for U.S. Military tents. It is rugged to the extreme, and beats anything made for the civilian market when it comes to weather resistance & exposure to sunlight. Weighs 14 oz. per square yard. It has a grab tensile strength of 340 lbs, a hydrostatic resistance of 500 pounds per square inch and a flame resistance of 1X1 second (flame will be extinguished in 1 second, when removed from flame source, if you attempt to set it on fire)."

I don't know the weight spec of the covers on these trailers.

Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they will send a sample.

BTW ... this is a pretty neat place ... their hardware and tool section is filled with stuff needed to repair tarps and such.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went there and it looks very promising. I think I'll order samples.

jasonjc

I was looking at that same place/stuff for the side cover for my MKT and a cover for my gen trailer. Let us know what you find out please. Thank you.:-D

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy and I took a new HMMWV tent adapter and put it on the back of one of my tan M101A2s Sat to see if we could build an awning off the back. I think that with two aluminum tent posts it will work. Buying the plain fabric would be a lot more expensive but a little prettier.

The cool thing about the adapter is that when you put the awning down it covers the back of the trailer with a huge zip open door.

;-)

Since it is brand new I'll compare it with the sample.

oddshot

My samples haven't arrived yet.

I also asked for samples of the 1000 Codura. I don't want it for top or cover material, but can think of a lot of other uses for it. Its tough, scuff and abrasion resistant and water resistant. I read that it won't rot and looks like it could sew easily.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can't sew it with ours I will take it to my sister-in-law, she has the expensive commercial grade machines. We want to put grommets in my new M101 awning too.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy and I took a new HMMWV tent adapter and put it on the back of one of my tan M101A2s Sat to see if we could build an awning off the back. I think that with two aluminum tent posts it will work. Buying the plain fabric would be a lot more expensive but a little prettier.

The cool thing about the adapter is that when you put the awning down it covers the back of the trailer with a huge zip open door.

;-)

Since it is brand new I'll compare it with the sample.
If these are the units that I brought to the GA rally last year, I have a dozen or so of them left.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is certainly a different application, I just don't know if it has a big WOW factor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks