• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a fuel pump push rod break in half?

sschaefer3

I did, looks like a cast part and it broke right in the middle. I'll post photos in the AM but is seems weird that a shaft in a bore would literally break in half. 80K miles. GM still had new ones available.

Drock

The only thing I can think of is some sort of vibration would cause that. Maybe some slop between the pump arm and the shaft? Or slop in the shaft bore? And ,or ah bent shaft, I've seen that happen during improper installation of the pump. Don't ask how I know that.:???:

llong66

sschaefer3, during my rebuild, I have switched to an electric pump, if you are wanting to stay original, I will send you my old pump rod for the price of the ride, Im sure I still have it. PM me if your interested.

Greg

sschaefer3

We bought a new rod from GM it was only $25.08 retail, which is what the shop charged me. GM 14050425

My truck is all fixed with a new AC Delco pump and new rod, but Thanks!

sierrajcharlie

I had a 1984 K10 with a 305 in it and I broke mechanical fuel pumps left and right. I finally put in a electric pump but had problems with that, I thought. That was later tracked down to a distributor issue. The issue with the mechanical pumps was that the push rod itself was the problem. That was found out when it broke in half. Apparently the failing rod had been beating the pump arms to death. Replaced the rod and never had another issue with the pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks