• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone install Banks Turbo in a M1010?

chevymike

I know people have put them into M1008 and M1009 's but I have not seen anyone who has done this on a M1010 ambulance. Has anyone done this?

I picked up a complete, close to new Banks kit and know I will need to modify things to make it work but figured if someone else has done it, it might make it a little easier to figure out.

Thanks. :beer:

sp00n

assuming it still has the factory 6.2 it would be exactly the same as installing it on an 08 or 09. Cab, engine and frame are identical, just has a different bed mounted.

chevymike

assuming it still has the factory 6.2 it would be exactly the same as installing it on an 08 or 09. Cab, engine and frame are identical, just has a different bed mounted.
I take it you haven't popped the hood on a 1010. They have a completely different alternator system then the 08/09's. Both are large J-180 case styles and are mounted on the pass. side of the engine. I converted over to a 12 volt system with a single J-180 mount alt in the top spot but I don't think the turbo will clear that.

I am hoping to find someone that has actually done this in a 1010 and what creative ways they got around the issues that are only associated with a 1010.

sp00n

I take it you haven't popped the hood on a 1010. They have a completely different alternator system then the 08/09's. Both are large J-180 case styles and are mounted on the pass. side of the engine. I converted over to a 12 volt system with a single J-180 mount alt in the top spot but I don't think the turbo will clear that.

I am hoping to find someone that has actually done this in a 1010 and what creative ways they got around the issues that are only associated with a 1010.

May have to fabricate a bracket and put the alt on the drivers side if possible. Could also add an extra pulley on the front of the crank pulley and push the alt forward in its bracket to get an extra inch or two of clearance.

chevymike

I guess this hasn't been done on a 1010. Here's a pic of the alt, it's huge compared to the 08/09 units. It's hard to see in this pic but the drive side has an A/C compressor which I am trying to keep for A/C in the cab (since I won't be using the unit in the box).

I am starting to look at the idea of using a GM 6.5L turbo exhaust manifold, which moves the turbo back further and use a T3-T4 adapter to mount the Banks turbo.

Sure which I had another engine I could use for mock up. Guess I might be hunting for one of them.

Attachments

dstang97

I am not familiar with the 1010 but I think you can make it work. If that is the only alt you have you should be fine. The only problem I see is the tube that goes from the turbo to the Intake hat. You will just have to make a custom one. I have pictures of my install some where around here.

linx310

I may be mistaken bought I thought I read on this board some one installed a diesel supercharger on there CUCV. Since space is cramped near your exhaust manifolds perhaps that could be an option since it is not powered by the exhaust.

Last edited:

chevymike

I may be mistaken bought I thought I read on this board some one installed a diesel supercharger on there CUCV. Since space is cramped near your exhaust manifolds perhaps that could be an option since it is not powered by the exhaust.
Humm... I did a search in the CUCV forum and didn't find anything but you got me curious to search Google. Sure enough there are supercharged 6.5L diesels out there. Very cool idea but two problems. One, you have to run a serpentine belt system for the ones on the market and two... $$$$!!! I already got the Banks sitting in the garage. :)

ChevyMike, i wish i had some good advice for you, but know such luck... but please keep us updated with your progress, since it seems we have very similar builds in mind... and nice 1010 !! cant wait to see how it goes !! please let us know what you end up doing for a/c in the box. im looking to eliminate the factory a/c, and mount a unit that isnt driven by the engine.

chevymike

SSSC- sounds like we do have similar ideas. LOL I'll have to see where this project takes me. Really would like to find a second engine I can use to mock everything up outside the vehicle, so I can keep it running. More pressing plans are for some sort of an overdrive setup. Can't decide between a 4L85E or a Gear Vendors. Plus and minuses to each.

As for A/C in the box, I don't have any plans to do such. I will setup A/C for the cab but our camping schedule keeps us to Fall thru Spring so no need for A/C in the box. Now heat, that is a definite need. Likely going with a Heat Source propane force air heater. Last trip out it was 23* inside our Kamparoo.

SmokeyDod

If you are going to keep the amb. rear box, why not just fab up a collector box to go over all or a part of the air exit area on rear air box and attach a couple of flexible hose to go thru the wall of the box and same thru cab area . Then you can re-route the air from the rear to the front. The compressor in engine area already has the freon lines running from the compressor to the air handler, dryer etc. Just an option to consider.

chevymike

If you are going to keep the amb. rear box, why not just fab up a collector box to go over all or a part of the air exit area on rear air box and attach a couple of flexible hose to go thru the wall of the box and same thru cab area . Then you can re-route the air from the rear to the front. The compressor in engine area already has the freon lines running from the compressor to the air handler, dryer etc. Just an option to consider.
Humm... interesting idea. I think the first thing I would need to do is see if things can be converted to work on 12 volts, as I have ditched all the 24 volt systems.

im not sure if it'll work on 12v or not, but the diesel-fired heater in the box is supposed to be pretty efective. i havent had a chance to try mine out, but i plan on doing so soon... have you thought about just using that? thats assuming that your M1010 still has it.

chevymike

im not sure if it'll work on 12v or not, but the diesel-fired heater in the box is supposed to be pretty efective. i havent had a chance to try mine out, but i plan on doing so soon... have you thought about just using that? thats assuming that your M1010 still has it.
This system has to run on 24 volts so no go for me. As it is, from what I researched, they take a lot of current draw so you really need to have the engine running while you use it. They also don't have a thermostat so you really can't leave it running all night and have it come on only when it needs to. It basically runs all the time. They work great for their intended purpose but that is not camping. :mrgreen:

It's been removed and is sitting in my shed.

nattieleather

Looking at the pic of your altinator and a pic of the banks kit installed on a 6.2 diesel. It looks like it would be tight, but the turbo may just fit. The difficult part will be feeding the air cleaner to the turbo as you may not have enough room for that. All I can suggest is first take the manifold with the turbo mounted and hold it up to the enging where it should mount and see if you have clearance. If not. Then you have to figure a way to move the altinator up, down, sideways etc.

good luck with your procject and keep us posted.

chevymike

Let me add this pic, showing the bracket a little better. It still has the lower alterntor mounted, which I am not using anymore. I am only using the top spot.

On the Banks kit, the crossover pipe runs under the front of the engine and comes up in front of the block on the pass. side. and I think it's not going to clear the lower part where the bracket mounts to the block. I know I will need to cut off some of the bracket but can only trim so much. Even with that, I don't think the turbo is going to clear the back of the upper alt.

I have been trying to find someone parting out a M1010 so I can buy the alternator bracket setup, so I have one to modify without killing the only one I have but no luck so far.

Attachments

chevymike

Hmmm... Here is a pic of the banks kit on a 6.2 and it shows the cross-over on the back side of the motor.
0554 Dp 62 35 Z Photo 1

I would think if the cross-over tube was in the front that would cause more problems than hitting the bracket.
Yeah, that is the original Sidewinder kit when they first released them. They since changed everything over to a front mount setup, I think to make more room for the A/C setup. Who knows?

This old style would likely work better so maybe I need to find this manifold which would move the turbo back and route the crossover pipe behind the engine.

I attached the best pic I could find of the new system. The turbo is next to the newer style air box, where the boost pipe attaches too. Not much room up there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks