• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anyone put S250 commo boxes on M105 trailers? got pix?

Adamlee

Hey, I was looking for some pix of what the S250-style commo boxes look like on the ton and a half trailers.
Anybody here drag around such a combo with their deuce or 5-ton?

thanks

Westech

CPL
I have a S169 on my gen trailer. I dont have any pics due to me being in the army and far away from home. but there is lots of room on the ends to store stuff and the cover fits over the top of everything to keep the weather out.

deuceman51

I believe kenny or someone here towed a shelter down to florida that way. I'm not 100% sure on that though. Take a tape measure and measure it out, i'm pretty sure that it does work though.

Adamlee

commo boxes on trailers

Recovry4x4 said:
I have an S318 (15/16 scale of the S250) on my M103A3 genset trailer. I think it would look much better in the front of an M105. Pics attached.
thanks for the photos, Kenny - I had an MV mag from several years ago with a reader-submitted photo of the S250 shelter/M105 trailer combo behind a deuce. That's what got me started on the thought process.

basically, I'm creating a kind of a layout for the deuce that will support its potential role as a sort of "incident response/support" vehicle for the volunteer state guard BN that I am part of. in other words, I am trying to set up the deuce for a specific mission within the parameters of meeting the MACA (military assistance to civilian authority) missions we are tasked to undertake.

I hope to get friendly enough with the NG Armories which we VDF units are headquartered at to be able to one day maintain "our own" tactical motor pool. at the moment, the sole state-funded tactical vehicles that belong to the Virginia Defense Force are a trio of late-model 3/4-ton pickups, with 20' "mobile command post" commo trailers (commercial enclosed landscape/race trailers) which we in the Force refer to as "the white elephants" due partially to their overall bright white paint scheme.... :shock:

each of the three comm post setups - complete with radio gear, incident command materials, and so on - are intended to be located with each of the 3 Virginia Defense Force Brigades. it has been one of this volunteer's pet peeves that although we train annually at Ft. Pickett, Ft. AP Hill, and other locations such as Quantico alongside National Guard soldiers we rely almost solely on POV transportation for any sort of drill and training activity - in terms of "mission readiness" and community disaster relief/civil defense, our organization has a lot of room to grow. but then again, most of the state guards across the United States has similar issues.

me and a small nucleus of folks are working on the "let's get ahold of excess gov't materials" principle to meet the needs of a state community relief organization. wish we could be more effective in lobbying to get in line with all the other local agencies for stuff. that's one of the things I'm gonna get more involved with this year.

anyway....

what a ramble....more coffee...

Mike_Pop

Adam:

Instead of trying to put a shelter in an M105, why don't you buy my Unimog radio box camper? It still has the desk and cabinets in it. You could remove the bed platform and add seating. It's really a nice unit, 5' high inside, 10' long, 7.5' wide. I mounted it on an M105A2 trailer frame. Double rear doors, one side door, storage cabinets under the body, spare tire, 24 volt lighting with high visibility marker lights. Roof vents, screens for all the windows, blackout shades for the windows, pull down interior window shades, carpeting, wired for 120 volt power and 24 volt power. I'm sure there is more that I am missing.

It's pictured here behind my Unimog.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam,
Look at what Patrick has done with an S-280 on a deuce > (bunker-of-doom) for use with the Texas State Guard. I'm trying to do something similar with an S-280 and a M832 Dolly Lift set, which is going to require a custom cradle for the S-280 I have. Our State Guard now has three deuces, one for each brigade. If the Wilson-Spratt amendment to the NDAA of 2009 survives the senate, state guard forces will be able to be on equal footing with the boy scouts for DRMO material. However, getting the state to foot the maintenance and operating expenses is another story. The stuff I've bought through GL is almost all dedicated to use by the SCSG in case of emergencies, and parades + steelsoldiers events when things are quiet.

Adamlee

gear used in SG units

SCSG-G4 said:
Adam,
Look at what Patrick has done with an S-280 on a deuce > (bunker-of-doom) for use with the Texas State Guard. I'm trying to do something similar with an S-280 and a M832 Dolly Lift set, which is going to require a custom cradle for the S-280 I have. Our State Guard now has three deuces, one for each brigade. If the Wilson-Spratt amendment to the NDAA of 2009 survives the senate, state guard forces will be able to be on equal footing with the boy scouts for DRMO material. However, getting the state to foot the maintenance and operating expenses is another story. The stuff I've bought through GL is almost all dedicated to use by the SCSG in case of emergencies, and parades + steelsoldiers events when things are quiet.
Thanks for the reply, SCSG G-4 - does your handle mean you are G-4 slot in your outfit?

And, yea, I am well aware of Patrick (OPCOM)'s commo setup on his truck - in fact, IIRC, he originally bought that truck and setup from Jeff/TacticalTruck way up here in VA....

thanks for mentioning the legislation regarding SG's and DRMO. I'm going to get into some research on that one -

In terms of "mission" the intent is a little different in my thinking of how to integrate ex-military trucks BACK into the military... :shock: rather than build a commo shelter, that is not my goal at all. Virginia already has spent the money on commo gear, and the higher ups will use it as they ordain, with their "white elephants". The role I am talking about is more traditional - I'd like to see every company in every BN in every BDE be assigned a core "mission response tactical unit" that would consist of just a certain specified table of vehicular transport and support that can be used in response to all sorts of tasks.

our unit structure in VA goes something like this (very kwik and dirty) -
George Washington Division, the sole div of the VDF; formed as a Light Inf Div in cadre form (lots of unfilled billets, IYKWIM) - with upwards of 600+ soldiers

this is divided into 3 regional Brigades, each Brigade is composed of ~3 Battalions, each BN is made up of 4 Companies (one of which is HHC/Headquarters)....

so for practical purposes, you do your most work in your smallest unit, the Company you are assigned to. companies are rarely larger than 30 in number, some are as small as 4-5 guys, all depends on geography/interest/recruiting/etc etc. in the larger Companies, we have up to 4 platoons of troops.

so what I'm suggesting, is for those more "active" units who are highly participatory in continued training/doing the regular CERF-P and CERT kinda stuff, more of the Homeland Security training - we should have a specified group of tactical vehicles appropriated from DRMO or privately-voluntarily - "donated" for the cause.

Anyhow, I'll spend a bit more time detailing the concept maybe in a PM or an email.

Thanks for the ideas!

rmgill

RE: gear used in SG units

The Unimog camper body on a trailer has me thinking...why not an M109 body placed on a 2 axle bolster trailer?

Mike_Pop

RE: gear used in SG units

why not an M109 body placed on a 2 axle bolster trailer?
Wouldn't that be an extremely heavy unit? I know that the M1061 trailer weighs in at 5,000 lbs. How much does the M109 body weigh?

I've thought about just using an S280 shelter on a flatbed trailer. Much lighter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks