• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone replace 002/003 genset panel bulbs with LED's yet?

Chrispyny

Anyone replace 002/003 genset panel bulbs with LED's yet? PLUS FINAL PRODUCT

I am finalizing everything on my 002a today. Bought the genset in april, finally finished tuning her, purchasing 40 ft of 10/4 soow with l1430 plug, and just got done building my genrator pad this week. Replaced broken frequency guage and 2 amp/volt guages with jimc's guages etc. I'll be finally dragging her out of the garage and onto the pad today if my little kubota and my inginuity can take it. Can't wait for the garage space!

Overlooking everything last night, i noticed the PUNY week little panel bulbs, both painted green, one of which has green paint chipping off it. Those bulbs are sooo pathetic. Has anyone found a suitable LED replacement for them yet? I'd LOVE to brighten those suckers up!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't want to start another thread since i just started this one today. So.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me from beginning to end with my 002a project. All the questions answered, all the leads given, and most recently thanks to Jimc, new guages ( awesome). AFter winning my govliq auction in april for my trailered 002a, having it sit in my garage since april, slowly working on it, gathering time and dust, parts, info. Here she is. Just dragged her out and warmed her up a little while ago. I'll probably build a shed around her this coming summer. A privacy fence is going up from the road which will shield this from noise and prying eyes this spring. I couldn't keep her in the garage over the winter, i just needed the space and she belongs on the pad outside anyway. For now, i'll get a nice green canvass tarp to cover her with for the winter.

I wired up jims guages a little differently then he suggests in his instructions. i wired my volt/amp guages on the output lugs of the breaker rather than input. So only once i flip the breaker do i see voltage and amps. It serves as an awesome indicator that the breaker is closed and on when the guages are backlit and working.

At anyones liesure, please view my youtube video ( first one ever ) to see what i got goin and a good look at the guages i got from jimc. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdTkys-urnA&feature=youtu.be

IMG_1392.jpgIMG_1391.jpgIMG_1390.jpgIMG_1389.jpg

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

...Overlooking everything last night, i noticed the PUNY week little panel bulbs, both painted green, one of which has green paint chipping off it. Those bulbs are sooo pathetic. Has anyone found a suitable LED replacement for them yet? I'd LOVE to brighten those suckers up!
Interesting idea. Looked for some LED retrofit bulbs but could not find any weatherproof LED replacements that would fit the existing housing. You might be better served by adding a 24V LED light bar mounted up under the top lip of the control box. Something along the lines of this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...atherproof-led-linear-light-bar-fixture/1103/

It would do a better job of illuminating the entire panel evenly. Otherwise, could go with a small clip on 24V LED light or 120V LED light that you can plug into the convenience outlet.

Ray70

Looks Good! Now the power will probably never go out in NY again! One question I have for Chris or anyone else that has any experience running these for extended time periods sitting on crushed stone, do they try to walk around or dig themselves into the stone much? I was going to put mine on a cement pad with rubber insulators underneath, but if it'll stay put, crushed stone would be cheaper and easier... Just don't want to come out 8 hours later and find it sideways or tipping over! :shock:

Chrispyny

Looks Good! Now the power will probably never go out in NY again! One question I have for Chris or anyone else that has any experience running these for extended time periods sitting on crushed stone, do they try to walk around or dig themselves into the stone much? I was going to put mine on a cement pad with rubber insulators underneath, but if it'll stay put, crushed stone would be cheaper and easier... Just don't want to come out 8 hours later and find it sideways or tipping over! :shock:
Excellent question. The gravel you use must have flat sharp edges like the blue/grey stone i used. Size #2. Do not use round river rock or pebbles. The sharp edges of the blue stone lock together when compacted and provide a very solid base. Round stone and pebbles roll around and anything sinks in them.
I completely overkilled my pad. I dug down 14" with my bucket and didnt realize it until my frame was already built. My pickup holds .75 yards of stone. I had to make 2 trips to the nursery/landscape place for stone. There is almost 14" of stone in that frame. And about 1.5 yards.

I tamped the stone every couple inches with a tamper while filling then gave it a final tamp. After setting the generator on the stone saturday, i ran it for roughly 40 minutes to warm it up and see if it would settle. It settled an inch and stopped. As far as im concerned, job very well done.
I had to do a 'procedural report' in the second person ( step one you do this, step two you do this ). for my english class in college. Im going to school part time for continuing education. I started on this last week and did a whole report on it from soup to nuts. If you want, i can either email you my report, or post pics here of the project. My project is due thursday and i have to do a presentation on it in front of class. Should be fun.

Last edited:

Glockfan

How is the brightness compared to the stock bulbs?
Roughly the same. I later ordered the amber bulbs because I realized that I had no need for the green lights in a non-tactical situation. I also wired up the lights in three of my guages. the more lit up the better in my opinion.

Chrispyny

Roughly the same. I later ordered the amber bulbs because I realized that I had no need for the green lights in a non-tactical situation. I also wired up the lights in three of my guages. the more lit up the better in my opinion.
Are there bulbs in the factory gauges ? Or are you referring to aftermarket gauges you have installed ?

It's disappointing to hear that an LED bulb is of the same brightness as the standard incandescent? Once you replaced your green LED's back to white LED's, was there noticeable increase from the factory bulbs? i ask because i won't bother spending the $20 it will cost me to upgrade if it's not worth it.

Glockfan

There are bulbs in the factory gauges. All you need to do is run a single wire from each of the three gauges to the switch that turns the panel lights on and you are good to go.

JOHNPFD1

There is a guy on here named Walt from RI, he used LED strip lights and mounted them to the top of the control box above all the gauges and it is very bright, I believe he said he used a ac to dc converter or vice versa, plus it was very inexpensive

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks