• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone use headlight polish on the gauges?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my gauges are very scratched and 'fogged up' (not moisture).

I was wondering if anyone had bought plastic headlight polish and tried to sand and polish the gauge faces to make them readable again. (Ya I know I can buy new gauges easily enough, but the ones I have are working fine.)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my gauges are very scratched and 'fogged up' (not moisture).

I was wondering if anyone had bought plastic headlight polish and tried to sand and polish the gauge faces to make them readable again. (Ya I know I can buy new gauges easily enough, but the ones I have are working fine.)
Mine were really bad and I was going to replace them anyways so I thought I would try to polish them before I removed them. I wiped them off with a paper towel that had carb cleaner on it and then I hit it with some aluminum polish that’s blue in color and in a short container. The sticker on the Speedo was the biggest improvement. I will try to add pics838ED16F-14F7-46EB-BB99-81E706A49806.jpeg01A04C71-4D41-43C8-84BF-5E30ADF92023.jpeg1BEA0F8B-6801-4250-BC11-7E2C26180D6C.jpeg3DB2DE11-16BD-48B4-88C3-FD373CB64626.jpeg

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow.. I think I'll try it then.. tired of the littlest bit of glare and being unable to read all of the gauges (except oil pressure which brand new)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow.. I think I'll try it then.. tired of the littlest bit of glare and being unable to read all of the gauges (except oil pressure which brand new)
I just spent a few minutes on it. I will go back over it with the headlight polish and it should look new

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine were really bad and I was going to replace them anyways so I thought I would try to polish them before I removed them. I wiped them off with a paper towel that had carb cleaner on it and then I hit it with some aluminum polish that’s blue in color and in a short container. The sticker on the Speedo was the biggest improvement. I will try to add picsView attachment 847398View attachment 847399View attachment 847400View attachment 847401
The results are amazing! Do you by chance have a name for this polish?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
9.95 harbor freight sells a headlight restoration kit and it goes on a drill and it will bring anything back to life… I used it on my exterior lenses and it works amazing.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I used the low-tech method of toothpaste polish followed by wax. It worked pretty darn well for my gauges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toothpaste works really well.
Especially the old time Colgate - plain old white toothpaste in a tube. Not the jell stuff... The white paste.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up using the combination of mag wheel polish and the plastic cleaner/polish after. It worked wonders to both the gauges and external lights.

While I can't say they "look like new", I can say that they're no longer foggy. The rag when I was done with just the gauges had this nasty brown stain on them, so it really did work well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks