• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are there any 30 amp single phase weather tight recepticles out there?

Chrispyny

So i got to thinking, unlike my o002a which requires i wire in the power cord to the lugs then connect to the house (may be difficult in the winter at night), i'm thinking of a way better way to wire up my 802a. The Outlet cable port on the 802a seems just the right size to install a 30 power outlet recepticle. I was thinking i fab up a square plate to mount over the power cable port, using neighboring enclosure screws to fasten the plate to the genset. Then seal it with some appropriate sealant like black rtv, and install a power outlet port on the plate. The problem is that all the power outlets i can find which are weather proof like the hubble one i have pictured below, are three phase and cost $100-250 online.
As we all know, using a power inlet box would be wrong, due to the threat of electrocution from the exposed prongs at the hot side of the power source with a standard power 'inlet'. So does anyone have a suggestion to use?
I don't like leaving the cord outside, already hooked up to the genset through the cable outlet port as i worry about theft and the weather taking is toll on the cable and plug ends. And i'm trying to make the hook up to the house as easy under high stress situations as possible.
Thanks all!
image.jpg. image.jpg

Last edited:

MtnSnow

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Amp-Temporary-RV-Power-Outlet-U013P/202307113

Or search for this one on the big E site "
MIDWEST U013C 30AMP RV CAMPER TRAILER MOTOR HOME BREAKER OUTLET RECEPTACLE"

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I have planned for my home when I get around to it.

If you use a 50 amp RV cord and receptacles, you will have 4 wires to for 240v and ability to link the generator ground to house ground. You may also want to upgrade your generator later.
Normal 50 amp receptacle at generator (put in weatherproof box) 50 amp receptacle.jpg

50 amp RV power cord 50 amp RV cord.jpg

50 amp weatherproof hubble twist plug mounted on the house (exposed contacts are dead until generator cord is plugged in, and as long as it feeds a breaker that has an interlock installed)
50 amp recepticle.jpg

The gen receptacle is about $8-10 plus cost of weatherproof box at HD/Lowes. The power cord is around $75 and up depending on length on eBay. The Hubble receptacle is around $75 on eBay.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
A lot will depend on what your willing to spend.
pin & sleeve receptacle SCM430R12W and the matching plug SCM430P12W is around $152
430R12W.png 430P12W.png

A IP67 rated watertight, 125/250 volt, 30 AMP, 3 Pole 4 wire, North American Standard Orange 12H

I think this is what you are looking for.

I believe with the receptacle dimensions you could mount it on the opposite side. That way you could still use the wire way to the lugs, and have this mounted for use anytime. They use the other side when they parallel 2 units together on a trailer.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

I've had great results anytime I've used Hubbell products. Solid materials and construction, good documentation and lots of places that sell them. Yep not cheap but my experience with Hubbell is you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Chrispyny

OK then, i think i have this figured out. All parts obtainable from home depot including the sheet steel.

Waterproof enclosure with adjustable single gang hole, backing steel box to meet same holes as enclosure ( rip off ), female L1430 outlet, a plate to fill the hole that is the outlet cable hole, and some primer and paint for the plate.

I forgot a few feet each of red, black green and white #10 wire, back to home depot tomorrow morning. Friend is coming over tomorrow. Hopefully i should have the 002a off the pad and the 802a on it. Then a good solid day of running on the getset solely to really stretch its legs, and back to my regular life. Gotta place the 002a on the 0116a3 trailer and sell that off.
I think before the wire, I'm in this whole thing like maybe $65? The outlet was pricey, like $25, weatherproof enclosure was like $20.
I'll post pics of the finished product tomorrow once the plate is dry, i shot it with primer, then black truck bed coating to keep it from rusting for a long time. I was going to buy aluminum, but HD, lowes and tractor supply wanted my left testicle for a small piece of sheet aluminum which wasn't heavy enuf gauge anyway so steel it is. I'll paint the enclosure a flat black to match the CARC tomorrow.

new parts for outlet.JPGsmall.jpg front of outlet.jpg back of outlet.jpg

I spoke to the electrical guy at HD, used to be electrician. Retired. He got me. He knew i wanted super water proof. He brought me over to the gensets in the other isle, showed me most had nothing, and some had a simple plastic flap over the 30 amp L1430 outlet. I came to the conclusion that unless my generator is sitting in water, in F5 tornado inspired winds, my plug will be JUST fine. He brought over a Reliance L1430 power inlet box like many of us have. He said, looks at this, when you are back feeding to your house, the only thing stopping water from entering this receptacle is the small spring loaded cover for the power inlet box. Once he showed me that, i figured .. FORGET IT .. this will be JUST FINE ..

Last edited:

shotty

What about something like this (Hubbell wiring systems 69w74h):

View attachment 600970

http://www.lockingpowercords.com/Products/908-hubbell-l14-30-twist-lock-receptacles.aspx

It appears to mate to the watertight plug shown below it:

View attachment 600967
I'm almost positive these are what are used on the MEP-810 PDP's. They work great, and they're compatible with standard cords so you don't HAVE to use their connector, it just wont be sealed. I'd go with these if at all possible.

Guyfang

Staff member
Crispy, that looks good to me. Better then the milatary, and I got to tell you that means super good. Have a happy New Year and be safe!!

Chrispyny

Just got done performing the recall by adding the fuse to my VR as stated in another thread. Took a couple quick pics of how my genset is set up. I tore up my lawn a touch dragging the 002a off, and the 802a on the pad, but that will clean up nicely in the spring. It's the dead of winter now so it all looks gross. In the spring it will look pretty.

The new power outlet box i created looks great on the genset. I hooked up 10g THHN wire ( black and red for hot, white for neutral, and green for ground) to the outlet and passed it through the cable outlet hole, making sure to leave a couple feet of wire for slack.
I sprayed my custom backing plate with primer then Rustoleum spray on Truck bed coating. It's rubberized and i don't see the steel backing plate rusting in my lifetime. i then sealed the back of the plate to the genset with black rtv silicone, and the front of the plate to the outlet box with the same rtv silicone. The outlet box has a black foam to act as a weatherproofing, but the silicon only adds to the waterproofing. I used the existing genset holes around the cable outlet to mount the backing plate to. After fastening everything up and reusing the genset screws to hold everything in place, i wired up the THHN to the output split lugs on the genset, cranked the split lug bolts down, cleaned the outlet box with brake parts cleaner ( canned acetone ) and sprayed the box with three light/medium coats of Flat Black Rustoleum Paint.

It's a keeper. image.jpg .... image.jpg

Chrispyny

Maybe 22 ft.

Just ran it for an hour or so connected to the house for the first time. It's awesome. VERY quiet once i took it off the harbor freight castors and 2x6's. No shake, no vibration, just a smooth purr and clean energy.

Last edited:

khestee

Great looking projects. How would I wire up my 803 to step down from the 50amp to 30amp?. Reason is my house was wired to accept only 30amp to the transfer switch.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking projects. How would I wire up my 803 to step down from the 50amp to 30amp?. Reason is my house was wired to accept only 30amp to the transfer switch.
To wire a 50a source to a 30a circuit you just need to install a breaker between them that is rated for 30a. You will have to run 50a wire between the generator and the breaker then you can run 30a wire between the breaker and the transfer switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks